Closer (Part 29)- julliard

The next morning, I'm not awakened by my own will, but rather by a person carefully shaking my arm. My eyelids flutter to the sight of Jay cooing my name. I realize that I'm not in the living room where I fell asleep last night, but the the guestroom. I look down to see me in my blouse dress but my denim jacket off.

"Good morning," he says with a light grin on his face. My hands go to my own face wanting to kick myself in the head that I fell asleep with makeup on. "I took off your makeup while you were asleep," he says, observant to what I'm worried about.

He points to the used makeup wipe on the night desk and my heart stops beating. His sweetness is too much for me to take in this early in the morning. "Thanks," I blush, meeting his eyes. They look dull and tired. I notice the rings under his eyes, showing that he probably got no wink of sleep. "Did you even sleep?"

He quickly breaks eye contact, moving himself away from the bed. "Of course," he says in a rush.

Liar.

I decide not to start a discussion with him since it was understandable that he couldn't sleep. I feel like I was still living in a movie from last night.

"Why did you wake me up at 8 in the morning?" I ask, glancing at the alarm clock.

"I thought it was the "Ella way" before a big day. I figured you would want to practice, pack your stuff and come to the audition earlier," he shrugs nonchalant.

The fact that he's so observant over my thoughts and actions makes me feel warm inside, like someone actually takes the time to get to know you.

I prop myself up to get off the bed. "Oh, you're right about that. Thanks for keeping it all in check"

"No problem, I'll go and get breakfast started while you get ready?" he offers, scratching the back of his neck.

"Sure," I smile which he gives me in return before leaving the room. I look around the space that I will be leaving soon and feel slightly disappointed.

Something rings in my purse and I jump up to the sound. My phone. I realize I haven't checked it in two days. I run quickly to it and look to see 10 messages from Seth, and a few from my group chat with Vi and Yaz. And of course, no calls from my parents.

I really am bad at checking my phone I think to myself while opening up the messages from Seth. My heart drops at the messages from Seth. The first few ask how I'm doing on my own in New York. If only he knew... Then, the next messsages are slightly annoyed that I'm never on my phone and the last one begs for a reply.

I'm such an asshole.

Honestly,  I must admit that I haven't had Seth much on my mind since being here. It makes guilt immediately wash over me but I try to shake it away telling myself that I was just protecting him from Jay's harsh reality.

I furiously type a reply on my phone to leave him an apology and say that I'm okay. I let him know that my flight will land on time, since he's picking me up and that I'm preparing for my audition.

In a matter of seconds, he replies with a selfie that says "Good luck today and I can't wait to see you". I smile at the picture message and turn off my phone in order to quickly pack my stuff and practice my routine.

After three hours of stretching and preparing for my routine, I find myself waiting outside of the Julliard building with Jay. He's not allowed to come with me in the waiting room which is understandable, so we take a few minutes to be together outside before I need to go in.

"Are you ready?" he asks softly, taking a dangerously close step towards me.

I bite my lip contemplating on how I feel in that moment. While I do so, his gaze drops to my mouth before meeting my eyes again. "I'm okay. The routine is spotless. I just need to deliver," I breathe out.