Closer (Part 54)- last days

Ella's POV
I was late to the last game but it was all for a good cause. I finally stood up to my narcissistic mother and my unsupportive father. The shame, manipulation, and bullying had been enough for me. I was tired of being blamed and not being enough for them. Years ago, I had hoped that they would warm up and become loving parents who owned up to their past mistakes. However, today I realized that they're truly incapable of that. Everyday, I had to put up with the weight shaming and my relationship status since breaking up with Seth.

They never even asked me how I was feeling or if I was excited about graduation.

Before the game, I told them that I would go to Julliard and that was the end of it. I had my trust funds that they couldn't cut me off of and I would come to visit for Christmas and that's it. My plan is to eventually, cut them off completely. I know anyways that they won't bother trying to visit me because they won't miss me. They never have.

Every child wants their parents there. I won't lie, it hurts. But, inside I've feel like I've come terms with the truth a long time ago. For the first time in life, I feel excited for new places and what's to come. Family isn't always blood. Yazmin is my family. Violet is my family. Madame Demonge is my family. Vinny is my family. Jay, of course, as well.

Seth, my mom and dad, well they were my family. Family can disappoint you. And if I've learned anything this year, is that I don't want to be around toxic people who decide my life for me.

As I go towards the gym, I tell my inner control freak to let go and move on. I tell myself to breathe. Then, I go into the gym and meet his eyes. The chocolatey brown eyes that light up for me and catch me while a sea of people cheer him on.

.......

"That was the BEST last game," Yazmin yells, pumping her fist in the air as we exit the gym 20 minutes later.

"Guys, that was the last game," Violet says in a disappointing tone which makes Yaz and I whip our heads to her.

My stomach drops as I realize that high school is almost over. I was so excited to leave but when it's at the end, you realize, you maybe want it to last a little longer.

I take a look at my two best friends who stand also with frowns on their faces.

"Elle, are you really going to Julliard?" Violet asks me.

"Yeah, it's set in stone," I nod with a half smile, half frown, knowing I'll be the furthest one away.

Violet will be going to a fashion school in Cincinnati while Yazmin will major in law at Ohio State.

"I can't believe you'll be so far," Yaz whimpers, grabbing my hand.

Silence hits us as we wallow in the reality that we won't be a real group anymore. Our paths are taking us different ways.

"Hey, come on, now. We have FaceTime. And I'll be back in Ohio a few times throughout the year. I'm sure you guys will come visit me too," I say hopeful, not knowing if the last part will ever come true because of the mafia. I didn't want them in any danger. But then again, the Luchesse would protect them.

Yaz exhales before answering, "Psht... You're right. We will still be best friends. Let's cut the depressing shit. We should be celebrating."

Vi and I let out a laugh before charging towards Yazmin for the most wholesome hug ever.

"Sooo, Jay's going to Columbia, I heard," Violet chirps while we pull out of the hug.

"Yeah, but I swear it wasn't even planned," I nod, feeling excited already at the thought of us going to college in New York.