Closer (Part 52)- trouble in paradise

"What's up with you Elle?" Yazmin asks me while I slump over my seat, playing with my mashed potatoes.

"Nothing," I mutter.

"Is it Jay?" Violet presses with a frown. "What did he do?"

I perk up at the sound of his name even though I'm still pissed at him for telling me he's leaving Ohio, literally weeks before graduation. "No, just my parents," I lie to them since I don't have the energy nor can I tell them that Jay is leaving me for my safety and the mafia.

I mean, I wasn't fully lying. A part of me was bothered by my parents need to mock me back into getting back with Seth.

"Where is he anyways?" Toby, who was sitting next to Vi, asked.

I shrug my shoulders while my attention suddenly turns to the beach blonde guy approaching our table.

"Hey guys," Seth says quietly with a small smile on his face.

Everyone whips their heads to my expressionless face before greeting him cautiously. They're good friends for that but there is no need.

"Is it okay if I sit with you guys today?" he tempts himself to ask with his gaze on me. "I just want us to be civil"

I purse my lips together before signaling that the seat across from me is free. "Sure," I tell him nonchantly.

It's been months since the day on the porch where I told him about my lost feelings and found out that he had once cheated on me anyways. It stung because it was Seth, someone I trusted from inside and out. Now, I knew better.

However, today I didn't even care. My mind was on Jay who was just about to stride towards our table before his jaw clenched when seeing the blonde boy sitting across from me with the goofy smile on his face. Jay changed direction and went towards the lunch line to grab something and left the cafeteria with angry steps.

My heart clutched. We hadn't spoken since the "abduction". I had ignored Jays text messages because I knew if Jay made a decision, it was a done deal. He would just tell us to enjoy the last few days together and I didn't want that. I wanted to spend another eternity with the guy. But, he was ready to let all that go and that really stung.

"Trouble in paradise?" Seth's voice murmurs while I break out of my trance. He was obviously studying me while the others joked about something I wasn't even listening to.

"Maybe because you're sitting at our table," I squint at him annoyed.

Seths blonde eyebrows furrowed, "I'm sorry. I didn't think about that. Elle, I truly am sorry for everything"

I don't want to tell him it's okay because it's not. However, I don't wanna be a hypocrite either so I tell him, "Okay, Seth just forget it. It's fine".

"You love him," Seth states and I drop my fork while my face muscles tense.

I sense a couple of the others overhear but they keep their butts out of it.

His eyes are stormier than usual but his face is completely calm as if he has finally come to terms with the statement.

I don't say anything and he senses my awkwardness. "So, where are you going to college?" he asks me.

This is an easy answer and part of my plan to stay with Jay. Even if he doesn't want me coming, "I'm going to Julliard," I tell him while a smile breaks onto my face.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After school, I sped over to Jay's house knowing that he wasn't there. Vinny was the one I was looking for. He opens the door with surprise in his face probably since I haven't been around in a while.