Closer (Part 22)- familiar stranger

As soon as we are safely up in the air, I decide to go back to the Florida topic while Jay is still looking out the window

"Jay," I clear my throat, shaking both of our hands that are still clasped together.

He whips his head towards me, also accidentally brushing my knee with his.
"What?" he sighs, rolling his eyes.
He knows exactly what I want to talk about.

"You told Seth and his family that you were going to Florida to visit your grandparents," I state, observing him. "Why are you on a flight to New York?"

He doesn't say anything but instead puts a stray strand of hair back behind my ear, causing me to shiver. I bite my lip as he looks over at me again.

"I didn't want me going to New York to be a big deal," he shrugs, lowering his eyes in order to not meet mine. "I'm just gonna check up on my mom and that's it"

"Didn't you know I would be on this flight? That I would find out?" I huff.

"No. I thought you would be flying tomorrow and not today. I drove myself to the airport and haven't seen Seth in two days since he's been at yours" I hear him hiss while he says the word yours and his grip tightens on my hand.

My reaction must've surprised him because he immediately rips his hand away from mine, causing me to instantly feel alone again.

I try to shrug of the feeling in order to continue the conversation and feed my curiosity. "Where are you gonna stay? At her house?"

"No I'll get a hotel somewhere, then see my mom and some old friends. You?"

"I'll be at the Four Seasons," my eyes trail over to both our knees which are still touching. "You should get a room there too. You could show me around the city"

I mean if he had enough for two first class plane tickets, then I'm sure he could stay at the Four Seasons. Otherwise, I would pay just not to be alone in this city.

Suddenly, I'm confused on how could be so loaded. He told me he lived with his grandparents when the drug addiction with his mom got really bad. His dad wasn't in the picture.

I guess he had rich grandparents, I mentally shrug.

"No," he spits out. I feel my face drop at his coldness. His eyes study mine intently before he softens his expression. "I'm not a fan of that hotel. I wanted to go somewhere else. But maybe we can meet up while we're both here"

I nod slowly, looking for more than just that bullshit answer in his eyes. Something's not right and I feel him struggling with some type of secret he won't tell anybody.

"What if your moms boyfriend finds you?" I ask, hinting towards the threatening phone calls he got in Walmart.

His eyes flash with surprise. "You seriously remember everything don't you?" I smile sheepishly, feeling my cheeks warm up. "He doesn't know I'm coming," he shrugs. "My mom and I will meet alone somewhere and that's it"