Closer (Part 19)-the final class

During dinner, we all praise Seth for his amazing accomplishment

During dinner, we all praise Seth for his amazing accomplishment. Everyone is so excited for him and I see that Jay has lost the look of annoyance he had a while ago, and is smiling with the rest of us.

"I'm so happy it's all working out," Seth's mother claps excitedly at the table. "Elle will be there with him"

I beam back at her, my heart warming towards the love she has for me.

"What do you mean? She didn't get an answer yet from California," a voice interrupts at the table.

We all turn to a confused Jay who's dropped his fork on the plate. "I'm just saying," he shrugs, giving me a quick look, while going back to his food.

"He's right," I reply. "I didn't" I continue to eyeball him but his gaze doesn't seem to meet mine.

"Yes but we all know you will Elle. They'd be stupid not to," Seths dad smiles proudly.

"You and Seth will seriously be together for eternity," Tashas scoffs. "Fate has decided long ago. You have and will have the whole package. Childhood besties, high school lovers, college couple, and then marriage with tons of babies," she laughs, winking towards us. I immediately feel my face warm up. Why does she have to be such a blab sometimes?

The rest of the table laughs at Tashas statement while Jay chokes in the end, coughing up a storm.

Seths eyes flicker to Jay, worried. "Dude you okay?"

"I ate without swallowing," he smiles weakly, clearing his throat.

"Sorry Jay honey, I think I made the chicken too dry," Seths mom giggles. It looks like the woman had a few glasses of wine.

My eyes wait for his to look into mine and I see a look I've never seen before. His eyes appear stormy and dark. Something's bothering him and I don't think its the chicken. He shifts in his seat before he goes back to his confident self, with his chin high up in the  air.

"Jay, you can be the best man," Tasha grins.

I feel my throat get dry. Can we all just stop talking about the far future? The sudden thought of Jay our being our best man makes my heart sink. Suddenly, I feel my eyes drop down to my plate. Geez, what was wrong with me?

"For sure,," Jay mutters before Seths dad starts to talk about the football game.

Thank you Mr. Rogers

After dinner, Jay excuses himself to go to his room to finish  up homework. I suddenly don't feel like staying anymore, so I give Seth a kiss, and tell him that I need to head home to work on my routine, which I really do need to do.

I decide not to say bye to Jay since he's upstairs and I don't wanna make a big deal out of everything I do. I'll see him tomorrow and that's enough for me.