Closer (Part 56)- asbury park

I wake up the next day extremely early to catch my parents before they leave for work, so I can at least say goodbye. I look at the bags packed next to my door and feel excitement creep into me.

I run down the stairs to see an empty kitchen.
There's a note on the table next to a wad of cash.

Your father and I have early meetings. Here's some extra cash for your journey. We hope you get back to your sense and patch things up with Seth while in New York. Concentrate on your ballet career, Ella.

I scoff at the note. No good luck, no have fun from them. Instead I should "concentrate" on ballet. That's the closest thing to love they could give.

They could've woke me up. I angrily crumple up the note and throw the wad of cash across the room. I hate them.

Suddenly I hear the doorbell ring. I go towards the door and swing it open to see donuts in front of my face.

I glance up to see Violet and Yazmin with sympathetic looks.

"They didn't say bye, did they?" Yaz asks sadly.

"Nope," I answer while letting them in.

"I'm sorry to say this. But you have shitty parents. Actually I'm not sorry to say that," Violet says.

"I can only agree. But I love you guys for coming so early. Thank you," I tell him, pulling them into a hug.

"Of course. We got your back," Yazmin chirps.

3 donuts each later, we are sprawled on the couch listening to music.

"Are you excited about your road trip with Jay?" Violet asks with a devious grin on her face.

I whip my head towards her, almost snapping my neck. "He told you? You know about the surprise?"

Violet and Yazmin nod with excited expressions.

"Well, tell me," I reply, as if it were obvious.

"No, we are under strict orders to shut our mouths," Yazmin smiles.

"But you're my best friends," I whine.

"Exactly. We are not spoiling your surprise," she answers, throwing a pillow at me.

I giggle and throw it back to her while my phone rings. "Oh, it's Madame Demonge. I'll be right back," I say in a hurry.

It's been a week since I went to her studio to tell her I would be leaving soon. However, we didn't give proper goodbyes. I think we were both avoiding it because we know it's gonna be hard on us. She's like my second mother or the grandmother I've never had. She's always been around and helped me in all aspects of life, not just dance.

"Child, are you packed and ready to go?" is the first thing I hear as I pick of the phone.

"Yes, I'm good to go," I smile through the phone.

"Good good," she replies in her thick Russian accent. I hear a pause and her exhaling before she goes on to speak. "I do not want you to come to the studio to say farewell."

"Why Madame Demonge," I frown while disappointment floods over me.

"Ella, I love you so much. And I don't want to make this harder. I want to pretend you're going on a short trip and I know I will see you soon. It'll break my heart for a proper goodbye. That's why I called you." she explains in a shaky voice.

I feel my eyes start to get watery. "I understand. Maybe it is better this way," I nod.

"I want you to send me videos of dancing and your time as a newcomer in New York. New York is the best place to start a dance career. It was the best times of my life," she sighs, happily. "I'm always a ring away, child."