Closer (Part 20)- the recital

Authors Note-

Authors Note-

Just wanna say thanks again for the love! I hope everyones doing okay out there in this shitty world. I like that we can hide in the world of Wattpad and enjoy stories!

Much love to you all!

----------------------------------

Nothing is allowed to distract me. That's what the inner me has been telling myself the past few days. No moody Jay, not my boyfriend, parents or even friends. Today is what I've been waiting for and I've been waiting a long time.

And by distract, I mean avoid any drama and stress. So, at school, I decide to keep next to my best friends, who basically almost never give me any drama. Jay is nowhere to be found which eases me, but also makes me curious to find out where the dude actually is. Does it have anything to do with the threatening phone calls hes been getting?

Stop thinking about it, I tell myself while shaking my head in front of the mirror in the dressing room of the Performing Arts Hall.

"Elle, you're making the makeup kind of hard to do," Yaz giggles in front of me, while applying blush.

"Sorry," I mutter. My eyes meet my reflection and I gasp. I look like a literal princess. Yaz being the makeup artist she is made my eyes so much bigger by making them doll-like. "Wow," I gasp.

Vi, who is behind me spraying layers of hairspray on, claps proudly. "You've got the looks and the moves to rock this tonight"

"Thank you guys so much," I hear myself choke out. Yaz gives me a warning look, telling me if I cry that I would "screw her masterpiece up". I bite my lip and nod quickly. She's right. Now's not the time for tears.

I stand up to straighten up my light pink beautiful silk costume with a tutu and follow my best friends backstage. I take a peak through the one of the corners of the curtains to find Seth's family in one of the front rows sitting with Jay. He came.

Then, I realise there's two people missing in the row that I reserved. My parents. My eyebrows furrow in confusion and I search the crowd looking for them.

"Elle," I hear a voice say while a arm lightly touches my shoulder. My head whips back to see a sad Violet and Yazmin. I'm not aware that Vi is holding my phone in her hands, trying to show me something for the first few seconds. "They're not coming"

"What do you me-" I catch myself saying before my eyes go to the phone screen.

Both caught up at work. - Mom

My heart drops at the message. I depict and analyze all 5 words. There's no sorry, no explanation and no I love you. What kind of parents were they? It was the only night I needed them to be there, for my future and my dreams.

I mean, come on, even Seths parents were there for me.

"I'm so sorry Elle," Yazmin frowns.

I laugh furiously, "It's nothing new. I just thought tonight was different"