Closer (Part 32)- not in the mood

"I don't like it," I say in disgust to my best friends with a scrunched up nose. The reflection in the mirror of the boutique shop that we were in showed me in a black floor length, long sleeved dress and a sour expression on my face.

The dress made me look even more pale than I already was and was just way too harsh for me.

It's needless to say that I am just not in the mood for shopping today. It was Saturday and somehow I managed to get through the rest of the school week. I have to admit, it was hard. It was unusual going back to  the normal way of life, the way things used to be before Jay came.

These past few days my phone has been glued to my hands, just waiting for him to write something. Since the last phone call, I haven't heard a word from him and it made me so anxious knowing that I was unaware of how and what he was doing.

No one knows when he's coming back. Seth tells me that his grandparents house has no phone connection or wifi. But, I know better. I am the only one who knows the truth.

I dig the nasty, unknowing feeling inside of me and turn back to my friends who are indeed ready for the Winter Formal next Tuesday, on the last day of school before break.

Yazmin is wearing a bright red lace dress that suits her dark rich oriental skin color while Violet has on a flowy dark dreen dress which compliments her long blonde hair.

"You're right. It makes you look too old," Violet confesses, throwing her hands in the air annoyed. My blonde fashionista best friend studies me before going to the back to look for more dresses.

"If anyone can help, it's Vi," Yaz giggles, nudging me. "Just let her work her magic"

"I believe in her," I laugh, looking back at the frantic blonde, running her hands through every dress she finds.

"Are you okay?" Yaz suddenly murmurs for only me to hear. I whip my head back to her to see her studying me with concerned eyes.

"What do you mean? I'm laughing here with you guys"

"Yeah I know," she nods, slowly. "But that's like right now and I don't know you seem so jittery this week"

I look back at the reflection in the mirror. It shows a girl with long brown hair and hazel eyes, hazel eyes that must twinkle in some kind of sadness or unsureness for others to notice.

"I'm fine," I decide, placing a hand on her arm. "Don't worry"

"Best friends sense everything," Yaz chirps.

"Well, your senses are wrong today," I insist, while straightening the folds on my black dress.

"GUYS I think I've found the one! How could I have missed it?" she cries, holding the blue cloth in her hands. "Try this on now!"

I'm happy that the subject could be changed by Violet's fashion advice, because I didn't have time to think about the guilt of not telling my friends what was up with me, and what had happened in New York.

She pushes me into the dressing room with the blue dress and I hurry to put in on. I hope this is the one because I'm really not in the mood to be in here anymore.

I can't help but gasp by the way the royal blue dress fits my body. It sinches my waist bringing out my curves, then the gown falls down so elegantly revealing a slit that shows off my legs. It's simple yet sexy and flirty.

I open the curtain to reveal myself and see Yazmin and Violet sitting on the velvet seats with their jaws dropped.

"Pleaseeeee say yes to the dress," Vi squeals, clapping her hands together.