Closer (Part 31)- guilty pleasure

"Did they call already?" Yaz asks the next day at lunch with twinkling eyes. It was Wednesday which meant back to school for me after missing two days of it. Yaz, Vi, and I were alone at our usual lunch table talking about my trip.

"No, but it's too soon anyways," I shrug while my eyes stay diverted on the chicken salad my fork was playing with.

"Yeah, you're right. But you're totally getting in," she gushes.

I look up from my food and give her a warm smile. Before I can say anything I hear Violet clear her throat, "I called you last night like 3 times. Didn't you hear?"

She tilts her head at me with a confused expression while my stomach drops and she reminds me again why I feel the way I do today.

Yes, I heard all three rings. Yes, I ignored them all. It's not that I was trying to be a bad friend but I literally couldn't pick up the phone and talk to her in a normal voice, not after the realization I had made last night.

After the dream I had,  I spent the whole night pacing around in my room. Okay, so yes, at first I went back upstairs to force myself to fall asleep, so I could fall back into the dream again. But, we all know once you fall out of dream it's hard to get back in. Plus, the guilt was literally feeding at me when I realized how strong my feelings for Jay were.

His looks no doubt attracted me to no end. However, it was his caring and observant personality, his love for literature, protectiveness, charm and even his screwed up life that drew me in. I found myself constantly missing him or wanting to be around him.

I glance over at  the table where Cindy Letterman sat. I was a green jealous monster when he was around her giving her his attention which I longed to have.

"Earth to Ella," Vi cries in my ear, causing me to jump at them.

"Sorry," I stutter, pulling myself together. "No  I didn't, I totally passed out after the flight," I lie.

"Oh well, no biggie, I just wanted to gush over Toby who's coming towards us RIGHT NOW," she suddenly squeals, straightening out her hair.

Yaz sighs, rolling her eyes while I meet Violet's gaze who's following the broad ginger haired boy striding towards us.

Toby, who's also Seths best friend takes the free seat next to me that is right in front of a very excited Violet.

"Hey girls," he says with a wink towards Violet which makes her turn bright red.

Did I look like that when Jay made me blush?

I shake my head trying to get the thoughts out of my mind. What was I talking about? I couldn't fall for Jay. I was a monster for thinking I could, thinking I was.

I cared about the guy. He was attractive yes. It's just an innocent crush on the new guy of the group, I insist averting my attention to my friends at the table.

"Do you guys have date for the Winter formal? Well, besides obviously you Elle," Toby says with a goofy grin on his face.

Right, the winter formal with Seth which was next weekend before Christmas break. I wonder if Jay would get a date...

Ella, stop it. You don't care. Well, you're not allowed to care.

"I'm taking a girl from another school. We met on Tinder," Yaz shrugs with an smug grin on her faces.

"Really? You didn't tell us about that," I say, raising my eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah well Vi knows, we met up on the weekend while you were in New York," Yazmin explains, twirling her hair.