40. Insidious Ploy

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
EVEN THOUGH I RUN AWAY.
I'M CAUGHT IN A LIE.❞

✳ ✳ ✳

Right before Eunbi's naked eyes, Yerin and Eunwoo were kissing.

It was indeed a horrible scenery for Eunbi.

No... it was improper to say that, because of the poverty of the language, words will never be enough to portray how this scene was wrecking Eunbi.

Vigorous striking of daggers on her heart and continuous bleeding inside. The fact that she cannot even avoid this was such a tremendous suffering for her already. It was torture.

With her heart being succumb deeper and deeper to the pits of agony, she suddenly felt a soft hand firmly positioned to block her sight.

"Don't torture yourself." it was Sojung who spoke. The older can strongly feel her damp palm due to Eunbi's uncontrollable outpouring tears. Sojung decided to follow the younger, she knew that something is off when she didn't come back immediately.

"U-unnie," the latter choked on her words, sniffing every now and then, "She's kissing him. T-they are kissing." Eunbi stuttered, her fragile voice was enveloped with definite sorrow.

"Don't look. Don't open your eyes." Sojung gently commanded, after a few seconds intended for Eunbi to calm down, she turned Eunbi's torso to face her, "Forget what you just saw. All of it, forget all of it."

Honestly, Eunbi doesn't even need to look back again to see them. That scene, with a blink of an eye, was instantly and vividly engraved on her mind already.

Lifting her head up, Eunbi sniffed once more before meting Sojung's gaze, "I c-cannot Unnie. No matter how I t-try to erase it, it won't just l-leave me."

Sojung's hand tightened over Eunbi's shoulder, as if motioning her to stop worrying. But for God's sake, she cannot just stop. "Hey, don't think of it." this is the first time she saw Eunbi being this vulnerable, she cannot think of any better way to help Eunbi in this state. If she said she cannot forget it, what can she do?

After a second or two, Sojung cannot feel Eunbi's shoulders anymore. As she, shamelessly slid down with her back leaning on the door, hands desperately swimming through her tears bruised face, "It should have been me." Eunbi mumbled in between her rather loud sobs.

And all Sojung could do is to tap Eunbi's shoulder, sympathizing with her, as if that action would ease her suffering.

With a final blow of air off of her lungs, Eunbi croaked, "It s-should have been me. Not him." and all can be heard there was the ticking of the clock and Eunbi's continues doleful mournings.

Yerin was just there, sitting few meters away from Eunbi, taking a door as a barrier for both of them.

Eunbi could literally slam the door open and yank Eunwoo out of the scene right of in an instance. But then what? What would be Yerin's reaction after that? Cower even more under her presence?

What else could be more hurtful to Eunbi than to see her lover's eyes lashed with explicit fear whenever she's around? 

She could do anything she want to do. She could brag about her being Yerin's girlfriend and Eunwoo being her ex. But she knew damn well that she would look like a total jerk if she ever does that. Because how will Eunbi talk to Yerin, spurting out all those shocking truths when she doesn't even aware of Eunbi's mere identity. Just how?

It was not then when Eunbi's body miserably broke down, temporarily setting her apart from that cruel suffering that she doesn't know how to stop.

_________________________________________