Vikklan- Crash Part 1

Lachlan's P.O.V.

Vikk yawned and rested his head on my shoulder, closing his eyes. I smiled and began to trail my fingers through his hair, massaging his skull to get him to fall asleep, he was already exhausted and now that we knew the next day was going to be a long one I wanted him to catch up on some sleep.

"Tired babe?" I asked, feeling him tuck his feet up underneath him as he tried to shuffle closer to me. I felt him mumbled something under his breath but I didn't quite catch it because he wasn't speaking in my direction and was also talking into his sleeve. "Mmm?"

"Yeah." He whispered, rubbing his eyes like a toddler. Finally I sighed and moved him over so he was lying on my chest, his head tucked into my neck and his arms tucked into my t-shirt, his fingers brushing against my skin.

"Just sleep then Vikky." I whispered, reaching over the top of the couch to grab the soft blanket that always rested there, for when either of us just wanted something comforting. I slowly tucked it over the two of us and finally closed my eyes, ready for sleep myself.

I knew it was going to be a long day.

------------------------------------------------------

I didn't sleep for very long, not when Vikk woke up twice with terrifying nightmares that meant he jolted awake screaming each time, too scared to go back to sleep. We spent the night curled up on the couch and on our bed too when we moved there, Vikk unable and unwilling to go back to sleep.

The only problem was, was that the next morning Vikk and I would be driving 3 hours, or rather Vikk would be driving because I was yet to get a British drivers license, to film a Sidemen Sunday with the other members of the Sidemen. I helped out behind the cameras to make sure that everything was running right.

Vikk and I lived on the opposite of the city and it took hours to meet up with the boys, so it was a three hour drive, six plus hours of filming and then another three hour drive home. I knew Vikk would be utterly destroyed, wrecked and tired, by the time we got back home.

A few minutes before we had to leave I looked back at Vikk, who was standing numbly in the living room with a blank look on his face. I saw his lip trembling and I knew how much he didn't want to go out today, I knew he wasn't up to recording but he couldn't cancel now. The filming days were planned months in advance and the boys would torment him if he said he couldn't come because of mental health reasons.

I hated just thinking about it, they didn't understand what Vikk had been through. They didn't know about his depression and anxiety like I did and despite having lived with him for years, they didn't know him like I did. They just hadn't bothered to know him.

"Ready Vikk?" I asked, reaching out to take his hand.

"Yeah." He sighed. "I guess."

------------------------------------------------------

Just as I predicted, Vikk was utterly shattered by the time the boys finished recording. Tobi noticed though and pulled me aside right at the end of the filming session to talk to me, telling me that he could take us home if we wanted, that Vikk wasn't in any state to drive.

I talked to Vikk about it but he shook his head, refusing Tobi's offer because he would have to go out of his way quite a few hours and we would just have to come back the next day to pick up the car. Although I was a little worried about him I went along with him, knowing he didn't like to accept help.

I did make him take a break before we left though, letting him take a quick 20 minute nap before he started to drive us home. It was dark, past rush hour now, and the streetlights were on, providing a thin veil of light for us to see on the ride home.

I made sure to keep an eye on Vikk though, watching him to see that he didn't drift off and although he did seem tired, it wasn't like he was about to fall asleep at the wheel.

I was so focused on him that I didn't see the truck coming in the other direction.

I didn't see it crossing the centre line.

I didn't see it barrelling towards us, over twice the speed limit.

I didn't feel it hit the car head on.

What I did hear was the screeching metal as the car was crumbled and thrown onto the side of the road, the sound of squealing metal and shattering glass. The force and impact was so great that I was thrown forwards and a scream echoed from my mouth, the seatbelt barely keeping in my seat.

My head went right through the windshield and suddenly I found my lying on the bonnet of the car, seatbelt tangled around me and my body lying half in, half out of the car.

Everything was silent.

I was bleeding and bruised and everything was screaming in pain, my eyes were barely open and everything went in fast forward and then in slow motion. There were people around me and yelling and screaming and bright colours, but nothing was in focus and nothing made sense.

And then I saw Vikk.

He had been tugged from the car before me and was lying on the roadside with paramedics surrounding him, blood covering his entire body. He was completely unconscious, limp and pale on the ground and there was blood everywhere.

Someone was talking to me, their voice was ringing in my ears but still nothing made sense. My eyes flickered closed just as I felt myself being pulled from the car, hands all over me and then there was nothing more. I was out.