The Pack and Sidemen (Vikklan)- The One Big Question

Vikk's P.O.V.

It was the first time that the Pack and the Sidemen had ever been together in the same room. It had been close before but there had always been 2 or more people who weren't there, so now everyone was in the same place I was super excited.

The Sidemen were being loud and yelling as usual and didn't seem to notice that they were in a public place and there were others there as well. The Pack, well, they had some very different reactions. Mitch and Jerome were both chatting and laughing along with them, Rob and Preston were talking a little quieter with Tobi and Lachlan... he was silent.

He talked more around people he knew but he hardly knew most of the members of the Sidemen and was both shy and nervous. I reassuringly squeezed his hand underneath the table to make sure that he knew that it was alright, and that I was right beside him.

We were all out at a restaurant, all 12 of us squeezed into one booth and after ordering our food we were simply waiting. We were chatting and laughing and some people were vlogging or some, Lachlan, were sitting in silence.

Simon had his camera and was vlogging, sitting across the table from me, and was pointing it at everyone and explaining who they were. He was also asking questions, teasing some of the Pack members and then he turned the camera to me.

"Vikk! The Pack or the Sidemen!" I blinked, startling at the question. I didn't have a bias between the two groups, I loved all of them, so I stumbled over the question for a few seconds.

"I- uhhhh, I-" Lachlan squeezed my hand just as I had done for him earlier, reassuring me that he was there. "Neither?"

"Nuh uh! You've gotta answer!" He teased, shoving the camera right up into my face so it could hear everything I said. "So. The Pack or the Sidemen?"

I glanced around at all of the other boys. Mitch, Jerome, JJ, Ethan and Harry didn't even seem to notice that Simon was vlogging and asking me questions, Preston, Rob and Tobi were watching with mild interest but out of the corner of their eyes, Josh and Lachlan were actually interested and Simon just continued to shove the camera in my face.

I knew most of them wouldn't care what I answered but Simon and possibly JJ would hold it above my head for the rest of my life. I knew what I had to say, but I didn't. For some reason my brain told me I had to answer differently, I had to answer so it was actually indicative of what I felt.

Sure I lived with the Sidemen but it wasn't them I was the closest too, hell I thought Jerome knew me better than Josh did, the Pack member I knew the least compared to the Sidemen member I knew the most. The Pack knew more about me, I knew more about them and overall we were closer, even though we barely spent any time in person together.

"The Pack." I answered, strong and confident in my answer. Simon recoiled a little bit but didn't say anything and although conversation quickly returned to normal my heart was still beating out of my chest and Lachlan could physically sense my anxiety.

"You're alright." He whispered, squeezing my hand reassuringly. "You answered what you felt was the truth and that's alright."

-------------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure if it was answer to Simon's question that caused it, but slowly the rest of the Sidemen started drifting away from me over the period of a few months. They stopped inviting me to record, didn't tell me that they were in calls and if ever I went downstairs none of them ever talked to me.

It hurt, but I knew I was drifting apart from them. I had never expected our friendship to last forever and although I had hoped it would last a little longer so I could establish myself as my own creator rather than one of many, I knew it was time to move on.

My friendships with the Pack members had grown ever stronger, especially with the absence of my housemates and ex friends. I talked to them almost every day despite the time zone differences and we laughed and joked just like I had done with the Sidemen. It made my heart pang every time I thought about the similarities between our friendships but this time I felt included. I was apart of the group and I felt as if I mattered.

It was Lachlan who first suggested the idea of me moving down to Australia to be with him. Mitch and Jerome lived together, Preston and Rob might as well have been living together despite their separate houses because of how long they spent in the others country and I was on my own now, the Sidemen might as well have upped and left my life because of how distant we were.

I accepted his offer.

Telling the Sidemen that not only was I moving out, I was moving to another country and by extension I was leaving the Sidemen, was one of the hardest things I had ever had to do in my life. I had a panic attack the night before in a call with Lachlan because I was so nervous but he was there to calm me down and helped me through it.

Their reactions weren't what I expected, but they could have been worse. In the end I had chickened out of telling them in person so I called all of them, Lachlan muted in the back so he could hear, and told them that I was leaving. There was pure silence, no reaction from anyone.

I left the call before they could say anything and packed the last of my things into the two suitcases I had. I had already shipped the smaller things to Lachlan's, my setup had gone the day before and my clothes and piano and everything else that wasn't furniture had gone long before that. I rushed out the front door, drove my car to airport and left it there, leaving the keys in a locker for someone to pick up in a few days time.

The flight was terrifying, I couldn't talk to Lachlan to calm myself down so I just had to hold my emotions under control and hope that I didn't have a panic or anxiety attack. I tried to distract myself and it worked, mostly, until I landed in Australia to start a new life.

Lachlan was waiting at the gate for me and the second we saw each other I ran at him and he picked me up, our lips meeting in a passionate and long-awaited kiss. We had been together for years, since before Simon had asked me that fateful question, and this was the first time we had seen each other in person in almost a year.

"Oh my god Vikky." He gasped, pulling away. "I missed you so much." I squeezed him back, going in for another kiss.

"I missed you too. I missed you so much."

-------------------------------------------------

I never really contacted the Sidemen again, even after I released a video saying that I had left the group. I gave neither them or my audience any explanation, I simply told them I had left the Sidemen, moved to Australia with Lachlan and I wasn't going back.

My boyfriend was so happy to have me there, for the first weeks he didn't want to let me out of his sight and we recorded together, edited while in the same call and slept in the same bed. I was content and he was simply excited to have me there, so I didn't mind his childish attitude or innocent excitement.

The friendships I had with the other Pack boys also bloomed because they came over to Australia or I went over to their countries often, far more often than I had before. It wasn't that I was closer, it was just I found it easier to travel with Lachlan and we loved seeing them as often as possible.

I had to say, I didn't regret saying the Pack over the Sidemen. I had learnt who my true friends were and with my boyfriend by my side I was happy. I had called it, and I loved it.