Vikklan -5+1 Part 2

Vikk's P.O.V.

4.

I guess I really hadn't been paying attention to what was going on as I wandered down road, Lachlan a few metres behind me with his earbuds in. He just wanted a little bit of peace and so I offered to take him on a walk as he didn't know his way around London.

He wasn't paying much attention to me, he was wandering with a blank look on his face and didn't even seem to notice me running back and forth across the path. I was acting like a child all over again and I took that opportunity, being out with him, to stop acting mature and have a break.

"Watch out Vikk." Lachlan called, glancing up every few seconds to make sure that I wasn't about to wander into the road, which I pretty much ended up doing anyway.

"I'm fine Lachlan!" I yelled back, still wandering up and down the footpath from side to side while I was paying no mind to where I actually headed.

It was only a couple of minutes later that I actually wandered into the road without noticing, my eyes on the ground. I didn't notice that I was in the path of cars until there was a terrifying honk from up the road and a pick-up truck was barrelling towards me.

I was frozen in place as the truck continued speeding towards me, not seeming to break, and I couldn't move.

"Vikk watch out!" Lachlan screamed, having noticed the situation I was in. He then barrelled in the road behind me, grabbed the back of my shirt and yanked me back onto the footpath.

Both of us stumbled back and fell onto our butts as the truck steamed past, not even stopping at all despite the fact that he had just about run me over. I was shaking, in shock and Lachlan pulled me into his arms just as I started to sob.

"Oh thank God, thank God you're alright Vikky." Lachlan whispered, bundling me into his arms and holding me tight as I cried, bawling into his t-shirt. "Shhh, shhhh, you're safe, you're safe."

I hiccupped painfully and continued to cry, shaking and still in shock.

"You're alright, you're alright." He whispered, tucking me into his side. "It's okay."

5.

I had anxiety, it was common knowledge among my friends, especially Lachlan. He had known since almost day one that I had anxiety and ever since I had told him, he had comforted me whenever my anxiety was high or I was having an attack.

I had been having a bad day, my anxiety was high and I was constantly on alert, I could record or edit because I kept glancing behind me, on edge. Lachlan noticed during our recording session early in the morning but didn't say anything, just gave me some concerned glances and tried to keep his voice down.

It was the evening when I finally reached my breaking point. The boys had wanted me to go out with them for a boys night out but I couldn't, I physically couldn't go with them because I knew I wasn't going to be able to cope with it. They might not understand but once Josh saw my pale face and shaking hands he pushed me up the stairs and tucked me into bed like a child.

Lachlan came into my room not long after, pale and a little shaky, and sat down on my bed. He took ahold of my hand and I blinked at him, wide-eyed and still shaking because my brain was running too fast but everything else was running in slow motion.

"Hey Vikky." He whispered, being very careful to keep his voice down. "You alright? You've been jumpy almost all day."

I shook my head, even though I was lying. He knew it too because he gently placed a hand on my shoulder and that was what set everything off, even if he didn't mean it to.

His touch sent sparks through my body and suddenly I was panicking, I couldn't breathe and I was gasping for air that didn't seem to reach my lungs. I gasped and cried out and panicked but still nothing was seeming to work.

Lachlan hesitated for a second but eventually wrapped his arms around me, tucking me into his chest and began rocking me back and forth. He began whispering into my ear, comforting words in a shaking voice that told me exactly how scared he was.

"Shhh you're alright, you're alright Vikky."

He pulled me up onto his lap, cuddling me close. I gasped and cried, panicking and flailing, but after a couple of minutes the panic began to fade and I was left sobbing in his lap. I was full on bawling now, rocking back and forth.

Lachlan bundled me even closer, whispering in my ear.

"It's okay, it's okay."

+1

I hadn't even noticed Lachlan's downed mood over the few weeks I had been staying with him, the way he was constantly sad and antsy. He was quick to upset or anger so for some reason I thought that leaving him some space would be the best option.

God I wished I could have realised what was going on and gone to help him.

It was half way through my stay when Lachlan started withdrawing himself from me. I hardly even saw him, he snuck out of his room to grab food or go to the bathroom and whenever I did see him he didn't seem to what to look me in the eyes and he didn't speak to me.

I thought it was strange but thought he just wanted some space, he wanted to be alone for a little while, so I left him be. I regretted that later.

One morning I knocked at Lachlan's door, waiting to ask him if he wanted to record with me. When I didn't receive a reply I frowned because I knew he was in there, I had heard him pattering around about half an hour earlier and he hadn't come out of his room because he was nowhere else in the house.

"Lachlan?" I knocked on his door again, tapping lightly with my knuckles. "You alright in there?"

Still no reply and this time I pushed the door open, wandering around the corner and into his main bedroom. What I saw made me scream, I fell to my knees before coming to my senses and dashing to Lachlan's side, where he was hanging from the ceiling.

There was a noose around his neck and he was hanging limply, his face blue and eyes closed, but I could still see his chest rising and falling. He was still alive, but not for long.

With strength that I didn't know I had I undid the top of the noose by standing on the bed with fumbling fingers and he fell to the ground with a thump. I scrambled to his side and pulled the rope off his neck, leaning down to his chest to hear his slow, heavy and hitching breathing.

There was a ring of bruises all the way around his neck and he was still completely unconscious, and, choking with sobs, I pulled my phone from my pocket and called the police.

"Please be alright..." I pleaded, watching his breathing. "Please Lachlan, please."

----------------------------------------------------

Lachlan spent 2 days in hospital before he was finally released to go home. The injuries weren't bad but I was told that if I had gone to his room two minutes later then he certainly would have died or been permanent injuries. It was scary just thinking about it.

He hadn't spoken a word since before I had found him hanging from the ceiling and he hardly wanted to look me in the eye. I thought he was mad at me but mostly he was too overcome with emotion to do anything other than cry.

I was still in shock. I didn't realise that he was to the point where he wanted to take his own life but apparently he was, so I knew I had to accept it. I did everything I could to make sure that he was comfortable at home but I also made sure to give him the space he craved rather than crowding him, which might seem odd considering what had just happened.

But still, I gave him the space.

And boy did was I happy with that decision, especially when a couple of days later he came up to me and told me everything. That conversation ended with a kiss and I closed my eyes, finally happy.

"Love you Lachy." I whispered, leaning over and pressing a kiss to the side of his head as we lay on the couch together. He smiled and gave me a kiss back, closing his eyes.

"I love you too."