Vikklan- Tribe Part 2

Vikk's P.O.V.

I spent days upon days exploring the rather small base, learning everything inside out to know exactly where everything was and where to go if I needed something. Rob was quite happy to help me out too so I could stop asking Lachlan or any of the others where stuff was and I could stop feeling annoying.

The base was small, only a few more than a dozen rooms, but each room had multiple purposes that I had to learn and remember and sometimes I struggled because it never seemed to have any order. One room was a kitchen and dining room, that made sense, but then there was Mitch and Jerome bedroom, then the medical room, then a storage room, then a spare room, my bedroom, an entertainment room and another storage room and so on. There was no order to where things were.

When I asked Lachlan about it he explained that moving in had been complicated and their once had been far more people living with them who had either left or... died, unfortunately. The rooms that were between bedrooms, now for storage or medical purposes, were once bedrooms.

"It's... odd thinking about it now. There were so many of us, but fighting tore us apart and we were attacked more than a few times, so we had to hide away." He smiled sadly, rubbing his arm sheepishly. He looked really sad talking about it so I decided to not talk about it. I would find out eventually, piecing together small snippets from everyone.

The other thing I did was bury myself in learning new things from the books that lined the shelves of the storage and medical rooms and asked a shit ton of question, pleasantly surprised to find that everyone answered them. Back with... them... they never answered anything I asked and ignored me all the time, almost like I was never there.

Rob was the most helpful with his knowledge, telling me everything I had ever wanted to know about the world and more. I was opened up to a new view of the world, simply because they had the resources and someone took the time to sit down with me and answer what I had to ask.

I was so happy, and I felt so loved.

--------------------------------------------------------

My friendships grew with the other boys, especially Lachlan and Rob. They were the ones who seemed to stick close to the base or wandered around close by to find things that grew wild. Jerome was almost never there, away for hours at a time, and when he was he had his head buried in Mitch's shoulder or was sleeping.

Preston and Mitch came in and out often and were the most energetic of the bunch, laughing and joking and always willing to talk to me when I asked them something or looked down. They were always there to distract me from any sad thoughts that crept into my mind and I was so grateful for them.

Lachlan, well, at first I thought I was alright with just being friends, especially when I found out the Mitch and Jerome were a thing, as were Preston and Rob, but slowly I found myself falling for the younger boy. As it turned out he was younger than me, but only by a few weeks.

I had fallen head over heels for him, and I didn't even realise until I noticed that every time we talked I had butterflies rampaging around in my stomach. At first I was curious, I didn't really know what it was because I had never had a crush or been in love before, but I realised soon enough. I liked him.

At first I tried to hide it, pretend that I definitely didn't like him and we were certainly only friends. It would be awkward if he found out that I liked him, hell I didn't even know if he liked guys like I did because chances were he didn't, what with the four who did already there.

I wanted to stay apart of their tribe, so I didn't ruin it by telling anyone.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I yawned, swinging my feet over the edge of the bed as the sun dawned outside the bunker window. Lachlan and Rob had offered to take me out into the woods that morning to show me some of the things it offered and also to gather resources they were short on. I was excited, because I could get out and see new things.

They were already waiting for me when I stumbled out into the corridor, bleary with sleep. Lachlan handed me a steaming cup of something warm and bitter, telling me that it would help me to wake and would get my energy going. I sipped it and although I didn't much like the taste of it, it did work in waking me up.

"Ready to go?" Lachlan asked, slinging his bow and quiver over his shoulder. I nodded and Rob handed me a small knife and a sheath to tuck into my belt, for protection only he assured. You could never know what you could run into. "Let's go then."

The sun was just rising as we stepped out into the cool morning air, our breaths turning into mist around us. There were birds chirping and the only other sounds were our crunching footsteps on leaves and twigs blown from the trees. It was silent and peaceful.

We marched in silence, stopping every couple of minutes for Lachlan to pick something and place it in the woven basket he was carrying. He explained what each thing was he took from the forest, nuts and berries and occasionally leaves from a tree or bush, all of which he explained. Some were for medical purposes, others for consumption, several were simply because they smelled nice when dried.

Rob came across a squirrels hidden treasures too, nuts of every variety hidden in a nook beneath a tree and he took them all, smiling at the look on my face.

"I know it seems mean, but you gotta do what you gotta do."

--------------------------------------------------------

There were limits to their territory, marked by once brightly coloured cloths which had faded in the sunlight. We reached a border after a few hours and when it was pointed out, we turned and headed back in the direction we had come from. No one wanted to run into a rival tribe.

Lachlan and Rob didn't say much on the journey back, their light footsteps on the forest floor was the only noise and they seemed to be basking in the light and energy. I was basking in the light too, grinning as the light filtered in through the leaves and cast strange shadows around me. A stream or river gurgled somewhere in the distance.

"Do you get to do this often?" I asked Lachlan quietly, not wanting to break and peaceful silence. "I like it." He smiled back.

"Not often but when we do I always treasure it. I love getting out here away from the stress and responsibilities and I can say I'm doing something out here. It's nice."

The small smile on his face was genuine, something that I hadn't seen on his face before and I fell in love with it. He was so involved in the world around them and you could tell that he just loved everything that surrounded him.

---------------------------------------------------------------

No one was around when that look that showed how much he loved the world around him turned to me, eyes meeting mine. His baby blue eyes bore into mine and I looked away, flushing bright red at his silent analyzation, but he was already leaning in.

His lips were chapped and dry from the wind blowing past as we sat on a hill near the edge of our territory, trying to get some alone time. His hand gently brushed my cheek, his nose pressed against mine and we sat there for quite a while, kissing, pulling away for breath and then going back in for a kiss again.

Eventually we just sat there, foreheads pressed together and shit-eating grins on our faces. We were just so happy, young and drunk in love that I never wanted it to end.

And fortunately for me, it never did.