Part One - Chapter Three: Job Allocations

“Vicente this is Mia Trevanion,” David said introducing the head coach of the national team to Mia; most of the footballers were still asleep and Vicente had requested meeting the four volunteers that were going to be working for them for the tournament.

Mia was dressed in a red jacquard peplum top and black high waisted jeans paired with black ankle boots and red mini clean lock cross body bag; she wanted to be prepared for her first day at work and she didn’t know what she would be doing.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you señorita,” Vicente said shaking her hand, Mia smiled at him politely as she ignored David’s curious look at the fact that Cassidy had yet to join them for breakfast since she was refusing to get up even after Mia had called her that morning.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you as well,” Mia said politely before the four took a seat at the breakfast table, Mia glanced at the table confused knowing that only one of the empty seats was meant for Cassidy; she wondered who else was meant to be joining them that morning.

Vicente pulled out a stake of paper and set it in front of him, his brown eyes looking over the three gathered volunteers; he was going to deal with the missing member after this meeting where he gave each of the volunteers their jobs for the tournament.

“Now I have looked over each of your curriculum vitae and I have selected the jobs that are best suited for each of you,” Vicente said his old eyes looked between them as he thought about them; he had selected them for a reason and was glad that they had been sent to him instead of a group of others.

“David you’ll be working as a co-ordinator… transport, equipment movement then you have to know about it,” Vicente said handing over a pack with all the relevant details to the leader of the volunteers for his new position; he nodded at him for a moment before turning his attention back down to the papers that were sat in front of him.

“Fredric you’ll be working as an assistant trainer… you’ll mainly be taking notes and stuff at training sessions and helping the players stretch,” Vicente said before he again passed over a pack filled with the details that Freddie would need for his new position.

Freddie took the information and nodded his head while Mia shifted curious about what she was going to be doing.

“Amelia you’ll be working closely with our public relations department and you’ll also be acting as the assistant to the team captain,” Vicente said handing Mia her pack, she blinked surprised for a moment that she would be working closely with one of the footballers; she hadn’t thought that she would be seeing a lot of them while she worked for the team.

“I’m sorry Mr del Bosque but it says here that I get paid £7.50 an hour?” Freddie asked confused looking at the coach, he was sure it was a mistake since they were volunteers and weren’t meant to be getting paid for the work that they were doing; Mia and David were quick to check the own packs to see that the same was also stated.

“That’s correct… I don’t think it’s fair that you’ll be working fifteen hour days and wouldn’t be getting paid for it,” Vicente said nodding at the three; it meant that if Spain reached the final that each of them would earn £3487.50.

***

Iker yawned moving to answer the door to his hotel room, Xavi was still asleep and he knew that it was going to be Vicente with his assistant for the tournament; he found it slightly odd that this tournament that he was being given an assistant.

“Buenos días Iker… this is Mia, she’s your assistant,” Vicente said as the door was opened for him and he stepped into the room followed by Mia; she smiled nervously at Iker as he looked at her a little surprised.

The coach looked around the hotel room before he nodded his head and turned his attention to Mia and Iker; his eyes flickering between the pair knowing that he had made the right choice.

“I’ll leave you two alone… could you tell me what room Cassidy is staying in?” Vicente asked turning to look at Mia, who was quick to give off the room number knowing that her cousin was in trouble.

Mia hoped that Cassidy wasn’t going to get off easy for skipping on their first day so she could sleep in.

Iker ran a hand through his hair looking at Mia, she wasn’t what he had been expecting and he felt a little nervous about being alone with her; he didn’t know what to expect since he had thought that his assistant would be a man.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Mia said smiling at Iker, she was a little surprised that she had been selected as Iker’s assistant; she didn’t know what to expect but she had a feeling that it was going to be far from easy.

Iker nodded at her as they both moved to sit down, his brown eyes watched her curious about her; he didn’t know what it was but he could see himself getting along with her.

“So tell me about yourself,” Iker said watching Mia, she set down her bag and looked at him; she offered him a reassuring smile knowing that for her own sake it was best to get to know the footballer that she was going to be working closely with.

“There’s not much to talk about… I’m originally from Bristol, England and now I live in Broederstroom,” Mia said shrugging at him, she didn’t know what else to say; she never really talked about herself much and usually just stayed to herself.

Iker nodded his head curious about how someone moved from England to South Africa, he watched her knowing that there was something different about her.

“So is there anything that you need me to do?” Mia asked as she looked at Iker, she didn’t know what she was meant to be doing but she had a feeling that the PR department would need her more today that Iker would.

The footballer stared at her for a moment before he shook his head, he didn’t know what he needed her for but he didn’t want her wasting her time if he didn’t have anything for her to do.

Iker was sure that as the tournament went on that he would have more need for Mia then but right now he just wanted to relax.

“Okay then… I’ll be with the PR department if you need me for anything,” Mia said collecting her bag and pushing herself to her feet, she smiled at Iker as he followed her to the door and opened it for her; he smiled at her as she stepped out of his hotel room and walked away.

Iker took a deep breath watching Mia go, he didn’t want to think about how much she was his type when he knew nothing could happen between them.

“She seems nice,” Xavi said appearing from his room, he watched Iker close the door knowing that his friend was surprised.

Iker nodded his head running a hand through his hair, he hadn’t thought that any of this would be happening; the goalkeeper moved to sit back on the couch as he tried to think of what he would do before tomorrow’s training.

“Do you fancy going out for lunch?” Xavi asked knowing that being locked away in a hotel wasn’t going to do Iker any good especially not right now; he would end up contacting Sara who had made it clear she would call him when she was ready to give things another go.