Part One - Chapter Eighteen: Telling Iker

Iker frowned watching his girlfriend from the across the room, they were at a team dinner and for appearances sake they weren’t sat together because he didn’t trust Cassidy not to tell the world that they were dating.

Mia was currently messing with her dinner and she hadn’t really eaten anything all afternoon, she didn’t seem like herself and it worried Iker that something had upset her.

“Is Mia okay?” Fernando asked as he looked at Iker, everyone had picked up on the fact that something was wrong with the brunette and it made them wonder what was wrong; she had been fine this morning and now she seemed troubled.

Iker shrugged as he continued to watch Mia, he couldn’t shake the feeling that something had happened after training; she hadn’t really spoke to him after he had showered and had made excuses to avoid him when he had wanted to spend time with her.

“I have no idea,” Iker confessed looking away from her and sighed, her strange behaviour worried him and he had hoped that she would be able to tell him when something bothered her.

Sergio and Fernando shared a look as they all turned back to their meals, they could see that the sudden change in Mia’s behaviour was worrying Iker and no one would be able to help since they didn’t know Mia very well.

“Why don’t you speak to her after dinner?” Sergio said looking at his friend, he had known Iker for years and leaving this alone wasn’t going to do anyone any good; Iker would need answers and soon about her sudden strange behaviour.

***

Mia sighed ignoring Cassidy’s rambling as she walked into her hotel bedroom and closed the door behind her, she wasn’t interested in listening to her cousin whine while she had Sara’s threat on her mind.

Mia swallowed wondering what she was going to do, she knew that she had to make a decision and quick if she wanted time to sort out what she was going to do now; she had the pictures in one of her draws and Mia was sure that they were going to come back a haunt her.

Mia sighed and shook her head as she started to change for bed, she wanted to have an early night since she felt tired and knew that she had to get up very early tomorrow to help sort some details out for the next match.

Mia folded her clothes that she had worn that day and set them down in the corner, she groaned knowing that she was going to have to do some washing at some point or invest in some new clothes for the rest of the tournament.

Mia closed her blinds as the late evening sunset shone into her room, she took a deep breath as she padded over to her bed dressed in her nude long line night dress; she wanted to just curl up with a book for an hour before going to sleep.

“Mia… Iker’s here to see you,” Cassidy called making the brunette stop and groan, she looked at her door as Iker quickly entered the room and closed the door behind him; she had a feeling that she knew why he had come to see her.

Iker’s eyes filled with concerned at the sight of his girlfriend, he had been looking for her in hopes of getting her alone; he had been a little shocked when he had heard that she planned to have an early night.

“What is going on?” Iker asked walking towards Mia, he could see that she was uncomfortable and he was worried about her; he hated that she hadn’t come to him since there was clearly something troubling her.

Mia sighed eyeing him for a moment before heading to her bedside table, it would be best to show her boyfriend what Sara had given to her; maybe then he would understand her distance from him and her strange behaviour.

Iker watched Mia confused as she pulled an envelope out of her bedside draw, he didn’t know what was in it but it was clearly what had been bothering her all afternoon; he carefully moved to take it as she handed it to him nervously.

Opening the envelope and looking at the contents, Iker felt his stomach drop as he stared at the images of him and Mia on their first date; he wasn’t going to like what he was about to hear, not when he had been so careful that no one would take pictures of them.

“Sara gave them to me after training… she says if I don’t end things with you before the Portugal match then she’ll release them,” Mia said revealing what had been bothering her, she nibbled on her lower lip as she saw Iker’s jaw tighten in fury.

The last thing that Iker had ever expected to hear was that his ex-girlfriend was blackmailing his current one; he took a deep breath as he stuffed the images back into the envelope and closed his eyes to calm himself.

“I’m sorry,” Mia whispered looking down at her hands, she felt horrible and guilty that she hadn’t told him sooner and that this was happening; Mia didn’t know what they were going to do now, she was scared that she would lose him completely now.

Iker opened his eyes and looked at her, he sighed and shook his head as he moved forward and pulled her into his arms; his heart ached at the thought of upsetting her in anyway.

“This isn’t your fault… if anything amor lo siento,” Iker said pressing a kiss to the top of her head, he closed his eyes knowing that he wasn’t going to allow Sara to do this to them.

Iker wasn’t sure what he was going to do but he knew that he had to act quickly, he was due to face Portugal in a matter of days; he needed a plan to make Sara back off.

Mia looked up at her boyfriend nervously, she didn’t know what Iker was planning but she knew that it would change everything.

***

David eyed Cassidy suspiciously as he sat at the hotel bar with her, he frowned as she sipped on her red wine deep in thought before he shared a look with Freddie; the two male volunteers already knew that Mia was dating Iker and had promised to keep it quiet for her.

Cassidy was currently talking about the strange closeness that Mia seemed to have with Iker, she had noted about how much time her cousin spent with the footballer and David knew that he needed to put her off the scent.

“They are just close friends,” the head volunteer said brushing off any of Cassidy’s observations, he had accepted that Mia wasn’t interested in him like that; he wasn’t going to be the one that told her cousin that she was dating Iker Casillas.

Cassidy pursed her lips as she spotted a couple of the nearby footballers were listening in, she didn’t know why they had all taken a liking to Mia; it wasn’t as if her cousin was interesting or anything.

Cassidy had always found Cassidy a bit dull and boring, she had only brought Mia with her to volunteer because she knew that the other woman would do her work for her while she flirted with the footballers.

“Would you like another glass of wine?” Freddie asked smiling at the blonde, anyone that knew Cassidy knew that she wouldn’t waste a moment in going to the press if she were to discover that Mia was the one that was dating a footballer and not her.