Part Two - Chapter Twenty-One: Abigail's Christening

Mia smiled as she carefully picked Abigail up and fussed over her, the little girl looked adorable in her cream layered long dress with feather-like skirt; she couldn’t believe that today was Abigail’s christening.

Iker smiled walking over to his fiancée and helped her with their daughter, he was wearing a very damper navy suit and he was thrilled that this day had finally arrived.

“She’s looks beautiful,” Mia said smiling at Iker, she cuddled Mia babbled softly before she shut the car door; she chewed on her lip peeking at the small church where Abigail would be christened.

“So do you,” Iker said staring at Mia, she was wearing a navy pintuck side panel dress paired with black patent strappy sandals; today was a big day for the family and the couple hoped that things went off without a hitch.

Mia blushed before she carefully handed Abigail to Iker, she watched him with their daughter for a moment before Catherine appeared; she was with Unai who looked a little nervous since there were a couple of paparazzi hovering around.

“Are you ready?” Catherine asked knowing that most people were already inside, they hadn’t wanted to stay outside in the cold.

Mia nodded her head and looked at Iker, they didn’t want to keep anyone waiting and she was sure that they had nothing to wait for; her family had made it clear that they weren’t coming.

Unai walked a head of the couple as they walked towards the church, he was a little surprised when Iker asked him to be god-father to his niece; it still amazed him when he held her in his arm.

“Mia,” called a voice making Iker stiffen, he looked back at the man that was approaching them, and he was wearing a suit and looked a little tired.

“Evan… what are you doing here?” Mia asked stepping towards him, she couldn’t believe that her step-brother had turned him; she was sure that he would side with the rest of their family and refuse to him.

Evan Adams smiled, it had been a long time since he had seen Mia and he had missed her as much as his sister Olivia; he had been living in England with his father and had been shocked to hear what was going on.

Iker eyed Evan, he didn’t know why the younger man had turned up and it made him wonder who else might make an appearance.

“I couldn’t miss my niece’s christening… I’m so happy for you Mia,” Evan said hugging Mia, he had cut contact with Rosie after hearing what she had done and it had been a rush to get to Madrid in time after learning that the christening was today.

Iker took a deep breath, he watched Mia and Evan for a moment sensing that Evan wasn’t going to be causing them any problems; he was a little pleased that someone from Mia’s family had turned up.

***

Iker chuckled softly as Abigail fidgeted in his arms, he cuddled his daughter close as the priest spoke; he was stood beside Mia and he was glad that they were inside since it was a little chilly out.

“Do believe in God and that you will bring your child up to follow Jesus?” the priest asked looking to the couple, it was a small gathering and Iker had done everything to ensure that was private.

Abigail squealed making the couple laugh quietly, she pouted waving her arms at Carmen who was sat not far behind the couple next to José Luis. “

We do,” Iker and Mia confirmed, they were a little surprised that so many people had turned up; it made up for the fact that Mia’s family apart from Evan hadn’t shown up for the christening.

Abigail babbled looking around the room, she pouted and wiggling in her father’s arms wanting to be held by her mother; Iker carefully handed her over and brushed his fingers tendering through her hair.

“On Abigail’s behalf, that you have decided to turn away from everything which is evil or sinful and instead to turn towards Christ?” the priest asked smiling at the little girl, who was now in her mother’s arms; he was pleased that there wasn’t too much of a fuss about the ceremony being held at his small church.

“We do,” Mia and Iker said again, they peeked at one another with a smile while Abigail continued to be fussy; she was still very beautiful in the dress that her parents had picked out for her.

The priest smiled before he called forward the god-parents, he watched as Unai and Catherine got up from their seats and slowly moved to stand beside Mia and Iker.

Unai made a small noise of panic as Mia carefully handed him Abigail, he held onto his niece tightly frightened that he might drop her; Iker chuckled moving to help his brother with a fussy Abigail.

“Do you promise to keep Abigail safe? To guide her through good times and bad? To keep her on the path of God?” the priest asked Unai once Abigail was settled, he chuckled watching Unai gaze in wonder at his niece; there was no denying that Abigail wasn’t loved.

“I promise,” Unai said smiling, he loved his niece and he had a feeling that he was going to spoil her; he was going to be fun uncle Unai whenever he saw her.

Unai was a little disappointed when he had to hand Abigail over to Catherine so that she could make her own vows; he chuckled as Abigail whimpered at being moved around.

“Do you promise to keep Abigail safe? To guide her through good times and bad? To keep her on the path of God?” the priest asked Catherine, she smiled down at the little girl in her arms; she deserved so much better from her mother’s family and what they had done was unforgiveable.

They couldn’t put aside their pettiness for one day to come together for Abigail; it wasn’t something that would be forgotten anytime soon.

“I promise,” Catherine said cooing at Abigail, she fussed over the little girl before she handed her back to her parents; she was in awe at how big Abigail was getting.

Evan smiled watching as the priest took Abigail to pour water on her head, he couldn’t believe that none of their family could put aside their differences to come today; they were missing out on something so very important.

“May God, who has received you by baptism into his Church, pour upon you the riches of his grace, that within the company of Christ's pilgrim people, you may daily be renewed by his anointing Spirit, and come to the inheritance of the saints in glory,” the priest said smiling, he gently washed Abigail’s head before he anointed her with oil.

Iker wrapped an arm around Mia as they watched, they were both so relieved that nothing had gone wrong and that there had been no interruptions.

The couple didn’t see a woman with blonde hair sneak into the back of the church, she sat down quietly hating that she had arrived so late since her flight had been delayed from South Africa.

“We welcome Abigail Casillas Trevanion into our church,” the priest said gently handing the infant back to her parents; Iker smiled as he watched his daughter hoping that in a month when they got married that things went like this.

Mia smiled up at Iker, things were so perfect for them right now and she wanted nothing more than to celebrate; she was getting married in a month’s time and she couldn’t wait.