Part One - Chapter Twenty-Four: On the Same Page

Mia furrowed her brow as she climbed out of bed, dressed in her blue lush bloom chemise and yawned as she padded out of her bedroom and headed for the hotel room door; she didn’t know who could be knocking on the door at this hour but she hoped that they had a good reason.

Mia brushed some hair from her face as her hand rested on the door as the person knocked again, she wondered for a moment if it was Iker; she hadn’t seen him since he had returned from dinner with his parents and from what she had heard from Xavi, it hadn’t gone well.

Opening the door, Mia squeaked at the sight of Iker’s mother standing outside of her suite; the brunette suddenly blushed as she remembered what she was wearing.

“Hola, is there something that I can help you with?” Mia asked trying to hide behind the door to cover herself, she truly hadn’t thought that it would be either of Iker’s parents since they had made it clear that they didn’t like her.

Carmen pursed her lips at the sight of Mia, she couldn’t believe that Mia had answered her hotel room door just wearing that skimpy night gown; it only made her more determined to ensure that this was nothing more than some summer fling that Iker was having.

“I came to speak with you,” Carmen said making Mia nod as she carefully stepped back to allow her boyfriend’s mother into the hotel suite, Mia couldn’t help but feel even more nervous at the fact that Carmen had come to her life this; there was clearly something going on and she didn’t like it.

Carmen took a seat on the couch as she looked at Mia, who sat away from her; she knew that she needed to do this even if it wasn’t going to be pleasant.

“I came here to make sure that you understand what is going to happen,” Carmen said staring at Mia, who had the decently to pull a blanket around herself in embarrassment.

Carmen knew all too well what her son saw in Mia and it had nothing to do with the brunette’s personality; she was his distraction and she would allow him this until it was time to come back to Madrid and live his life.

Iker knew plenty of suitable women that could make the perfect wife for her eldest son, she felt excited at setting Iker up with some of her closest friends daughters; they were all dying to meet him and would make him very happy.

“This thing you have with my son… it’s nothing more than a summer fling,” Carmen said sternly making Mia blink at the coldness in the older woman’s voice, she couldn’t believe that this was happening and that her relationship with Iker was being swept aside like this; her stomach knotted wondering why Iker hadn’t come to her himself.

Carmen pursed her lips as she watched Mia, she was pleased to see that there was understanding in Mia’s blue eyes as well as confusion about what was going on.

“When Iker returns to Madrid… this fling between you is over, he will have a more suitable girlfriend waiting for him at home,” Carmen said eyeing Mia with her cold and calculating eyes, she could see the tears filling in Mia’s eyes at her cruel words and she couldn’t bring herself to care if the gold-digger was hurt by what she was saying.

Mia swallowed the lump that formed in her throat, she didn’t want to believe a word that was coming out of Carmen’s mouth since it played to one of her greatest fears about her relationship with Iker; he had told her time and time again that he was serious about them.

“Now that we are on the same page… I’ll let you get back to bed,” Carmen said smugly as she got to her feet and nodded at Mia, she wouldn’t relax until she knew that the gold-digger was no longer a threat to her son; she didn’t care what Iker thought, she was doing this for him.

Mia nodded her head mutely as she got to her feet and showed the Spaniard from her hotel suite, Mia didn’t even wish her a good night as she closed the door allowing her tears to spill over in shock at Carmen’s harsh words of what seemed to her as truth.

Carmen smiled to herself as the door closed before she started to walk back to her room, she was pleased about how well her talk with Mia had gone; she didn’t want Mia thinking that this was some sort of serious relationship when it was nothing more than a fling.

“Carmen?” said a voice making her stop walking and look behind her to find Xavi staring at her concerned, he had clearly seen her coming out of Mia’s room and she knew how close he was with her son.

Carmen smiled politely knowing that it was late and the boys had a big game coming up and she didn’t want to disturb anyone; she knew that Iker would be very upset with her when he realised what she had gone and done.

“Xavi it’s nice to see you,” Carmen said as Xavi approached her, he glanced concerned at the hotel door that she had stepped out of; he had heard from Iker how much his parents disliked Mia and he doubted she’d been to see the brunette for a pleasant chat.

Xavi eyed Iker’s mother wondering what she had possibly said to Mia when she didn’t like her, he knew everything about the talk that she’d had with her son and now he feared what she might have done.

“What did you do?” Xavi asked staring at Carmen, he wasn’t about to allow his best friend’s mother to ruin things for him; Iker loved Mia more than anything and Xavi was happy for him, he had never seen his friend like this before.

Carmen smiled coyly as she looked at him innocently, the last thing that she wanted right now was for her son to go and comfort his girlfriend; they needed to put an end to this silliness and she was sure that her plan would work.

“Just what needed to be done,” Carmen said carefully causing a chill to run down Xavi’s back, he really hoped that Iker’s mother hadn’t said something that she shouldn’t have to Mia; the last thing that they all needed right now was for Iker to get distracted two days before the match against Paraguay.

Xavi shook his head annoyed as he turned on his heel and walked straight back to his hotel room with every intention of waking Iker up and telling him his suspicions.

“I’m doing what is best for Iker… are you?” Carmen called after Xavi with a smile making the footballer pause before she headed back to her hotel room; she doubted that this was going to end well for anyone when Iker was woken up.

Xavi rushed into his hotel suite and headed for Iker’s room, his heart beating wildly in his chest as he shook Iker awake making the captain glare at him wondering why he was being woken up.

“I’ve just seen your madre coming out of Mia’s suite and I doubt she wanted to apologise,” Xavi said making Iker stare at him for a moment before he cursed and climbed out of bed; Iker was suddenly glad that he didn’t sleep in just his boxers and he stormed out of his room.

Iker didn’t waste a moment as he hurried towards Mia’s suite wondering what on earth his mother had gone and said; he had no intentions of ending things with the brunette and he couldn’t believe that his parents thought he would.

The footballer banged on the hotel door, hoping that his girlfriend would give him a chance to explain; he didn’t know why his mother had done this but he swore if Mia didn’t forgive him then he was done.