Part One - Chapter Twelve: Wanting What You Can't Have

Sara frowned staring at her now ex-boyfriend, she couldn’t believe that he had been the one to end things between them; she had always thought that she’d be the one to dump him when the time came to end their relationship.

Sara had only suggested that they take a break because she wanted to be taken serious in her professional and she had been sleeping with her cameraman until she saw how Iker was around his personal assistant; she had been far from pleased that he was getting close to another women.

“Sara… you have a meeting with a couple of players,” someone said making Sara nod her head, her blue eyes never leaving Iker’s form as he started to warm down from training with the other goalkeepers; he would be one of the players that she got to talk to.

Sara pushed herself to her feet as she collected her bag, she glanced over at the small group of volunteers and her eyes quickly found Mia; she glared at the brunette wondering if she had something to do with the fact that Iker had broken up with her.

Sara headed down to the field as Vicente rapped up the training session, he frowned slightly at the sight of her before he headed off to talk about the team; he had a feeling that Sara wasn’t happy about how things had ended between her and Iker.

Mia headed across the field to talk with Iker before his interview with his ex-girlfriend, she handed him a towel so that he could wipe away some of his sweat; he smiled at her knowing that they were going to remain professional until they were alone in his hotel room since hers wasn’t safe.

***

Iker sighed in relief as the interview with his ex-girlfriend came to an end, he only realised now how awkward it was talking to her because of their shared intimate past; he was suddenly glad that things between them had ended.

“So how are you?” Sara asked looking at him, she hoped that he missed her and wanted her back; she knew that she had been stupid to ask for a break especially with some like Iker, he wouldn’t stay single for long.

“I’ve been good,” Iker said looking at her, he had broken up with her before the match against Switzerland and had proceeded to start a relationship with Mia; if Sara found out about this then she would be far from happy.

Sara had tried to make him into something that he wasn’t and he had hated that, he was so much happier with Mia and he could finally be himself without having to worry about being told her off.

“That’s good… I’ve been thinking and maybe we could have dinner together tonight,” Sara said smiling at him, she hoped that he would say yes so that she could win him back; they had been so good together that she didn’t want to lose him now.

Iker sighed shaking his head, he didn’t want to go back to a time where he was forced to pretend that he was someone else; the sort time that he’d had with Mia was something that had showed him just how off his relationship of a year had been with Sara and he hadn’t been happy.

“I don’t think so Sara,” Iker said not interested in what she wanted, he had spent a year trying to make her happy and she never was; he didn’t see the point in trying when she truly wasn’t interested in him.

“We were never truly happy Sara and I can see that now,” Iker said preparing to head for the locker room, he wanted to shower before dinner and then he could spend time with Mia; he looked forward to the time at night that he got with his girlfriend when no one was around.

Sara frowned looking at him, she couldn’t believe that he had turned her down like that; she had thought he would jump at the chance of having her back after how he had spent weeks trying to get her to go out with him and now he had no interest in her.

“I was happy,” Sara whispered making Iker shake his head, he knew that she wasn’t really happy and only loved to change him; he knew that she’d probably been with someone else while they were on a break and she had planned it that way.

Iker took a deep breath as he prepared to leave, he had no interest in hanging around here where she would get the wrong idea; he was starving and wanted to have a shower before the team lunch.

“No you weren’t and you know it Sara… why else would you insist on a break before the world cup, it had nothing to do with your career,” Iker said knowing Sara to well, he offered her a small smile before he left; he had no interest in dragging this out when he didn’t want her back and he knew that she needed to understand that.

Sara frowned watching him leave before she hurried after him, she knew people were watching them but she needed him to take her back no matter what.

“I love you,” Sara said hoping that this would work, she needed Iker and if he didn’t take her back then she was in a lot of trouble; she had the angle of being the captain’s girlfriend before and now she didn’t.

Iker stopped as he took a deep breath before he turned back to look at Sara, she looked at him hopefully making him sigh and shake his head, he knew what she was trying to do and it didn’t fool him.

“No you don’t… you want what you can’t have,” Iker said glancing at the members of his team that had interviews after him, he had a feeling that everyone would know about their break-up since he had kept it quiet because he was now dating Mia.

A couple of them didn’t look surprise at the turn of events, Sara had been causing him trouble at a club level for months with the amount of stories and insulting about his team-mates.

“Iker por favor,” Sara said trying to think of a way for him to stay, she truly didn’t want to lose him especially since if the team won the tournament she knew what it would do for her career; several people had experienced their interest in making the couple, a power couple after the world cup.

However Iker ignored her leaving for the locker room, he wasn’t going to fall for her tricks and he was sure that this wasn’t going to be the last time that he saw her.

***

Mia glanced at her cousin as she prepared for a night out, Cassidy planned to go out and celebrate Spain’s win and would be leaving soon meaning that Mia would have their hotel suit to herself that night.

Mia smiled to herself as she texted Iker, she knew that this was the perfect chance for them to be completely alone without having to worry about waking Xavi every time they had some alone time.

“Are you sure you don’t want to come?” Cassidy asked looking back at Mia, who was curled up on the couch reading a book; she nodded her head since she had no intentions of going to a club when she could have time with her boyfriend.

Cassidy nodded her head with a smile, as if pleased with Mia’s choice; she had only asked out of courteous and really didn’t want her boring cousin ruining her life.

Mia watched her finishing getting ready, she was a little pleased with the idea that she was able to spend the night with Iker without having to worry about interruptions.