Part Two - Chapter Fourteen: Unexpected Surprises

“Dad,” Mia squeaked in surprise stepping into the restaurant with Iker, she had been surprised when her fiancé had insisted that they got out to dinner with his parents but she hadn’t expected this.

Mia was wearing a yellow batwing sleeve top and super stretch skinny jeans paired with black patent ballet pumps; she hadn’t expected this to be a big family gathering just a simple meal.

Danny smiled moving to hug his daughter, it had been months since he had last seen and he was amazed at how happy and relaxed that she looked with her new life.

“What are you doing here?” Mia asked stepping back, she wasn’t sure what to make of all of this and it made her even more nervous; she was going to have to tell her father that she was engaged.

Danny grinned looking at his daughter, she was glowing and it was clear that Madrid was agreeing with her; he couldn’t wait to see Abigail again either.

“Iker invited us… he said you had some wonderful news to share,” Danny said moving towards the table, he looked curiously at the footballer wondering what was going on.

Carmen and José Luis were already sat at the table and looked a little distressed that Mia’s parents were also having lunch with them.

Carmen had hoped that it was going to be a quiet meal and that she could speak privately to her son about something however it was clear that wasn’t going to happen.

Mia greeted Alice as she looked at Iker wondering what was going on, she had no idea what had led him to invite her father and step-mother to Madrid without telling her.

“Has anyone ordered yet?” Iker asked smiling at his fiancée, she was going to be mad at him but he hadn’t been able to resist; he wanted their families to know that they were engaged.

***

“How is Abby?” Danny asked as the main course was served, his eyes looking across the table to Mia as he thought about his grandchild; he had missed a lot and wanted to catch up as soon as possible.

Iker beamed at the mention of his daughter, he adored the little girl and loved to talk about Abigail whenever he had the chance; she was a beautiful as her mother.

“She’s perfect,” Iker said sneaking a look at Mia, he was waiting for the right time to tell everyone that they were engaged; he didn’t just want to drop the news on anyone.

Mia nodded in agreement, she felt a little more relaxed and she hoped that no one would be upset that they were going to get married; she was a little nervous and wasn’t sure what was going to happen.

“So does someone want to explain why we are all here?” Carmen asked swirling her wine around, she looked at her eldest son; she was growing tired of the ideal chat and wanted to know what was going on.

Iker swallowed looking at his mother, he had known that she wasn’t going to be patient and it worried him that she was going to be upset about what he had done; he hadn’t really given his parents much of a warning.

“Iker and I have some news to share,” Mia said taking her fiancé’s hand, she smiled softly as she looked at him knowing that there was no point dragging this out; they were going to have to tell them sooner or later that they were engaged.

Iker nodded his head smiling, he couldn’t believe how lucky he was and he was sure that one way or another everyone was going to be happy for the couple.

Danny and Alice shared a look, the couple looked so in love and it was a promising sign for why they had asked them to come to Madrid; now they just had to wait to see if they were right.

“Iker asked me to marry him and I said yes,” Mia said slowly revealing the silver eclipse white and treated black diamond engagement ring that she was wearing; she couldn’t stop from smiling as she did so.

Carmen stared shocked as she eyed the ring that Mia was wearing, she hadn’t expected an engagement to come so soon; she had thought they’d wait a couple more months.

Danny was the first to move as he realised that he and Alice had been right, there was no denying how happy the couple looked and he was happy for them.

“Congratulations,” Danny said moving to hug his daughter, he was a little upset but that wasn’t going to cloud how happy he was for Mia; she was living her own life and there was nothing that could change that.

Mia smiled hugging her father, she remembered how freaked out he had been when Rosie had married her second husband and she was glad he wasn’t doing that with her.

José Luis smiled moving to congratulate his son, he could see how happy Iker was and he was happy for him; it was just going to take some time to adjust to what was happening in Iker’s life.

Carmen sat quietly for a moment, she had seen this coming and she knew that she was happy for Iker; she just hoped that he was sure about marrying Mia.

***

“That went well,” Iker mused wrapping an arm around Mia and walked her to the car, the meal was over and everyone was heading home; Danny and Alice were checked into a nice hotel for the week.

Mia nodded her head as she smiled, she still couldn’t believe that she had told her father that she was engaged; she just feared what Rosie would do when she found out.

“It did,” Mia said thinking about what they were going to do, next summer was the Euros and between now and then she did want to get married; it was just a question of how and when.

Iker was going to be busy playing the impending season and Mia wasn’t sure how they would fit a wedding into such a time frame without worrying about fixtures.

“So when do you want to get married?” Iker asked looking down at Mia, they had both been thinking about it and he didn’t mind when; he would even elope with her if that was what she wanted.

Mia chewed on her lip as she brushed fingers through her hair, she wasn’t sure how to answer that question; she had no idea how the season would look from September.

Iker pulled his fiancée to a stop, he knew why she was hesitating and he didn’t want her to worry about football; he would marry when it was right for them.

“Mia… I don’t care when the wedding is, I just want you to be happy,” Iker said cupping her face, his thumbs brushing against her cheek as he smiled down at her; he would marry her right now if she asked him too.

“Late December,” Mia said softly, she loved the idea of a Christmas wedding and more so because she knew it would be snowing in Madrid around that time.

Iker chuckled and nodded his head, he liked that idea and he could arrange a honeymoon for them during the New Year.

“Okay… late December it is,” Iker said in agreement, he was sure that they could organise a wedding in six months; it wouldn’t be easy but he would make it work if that was what Mia wanted.

Mia smiled as she kissed Iker, she was lucky to have him and she couldn’t wait to be his wife.