Part One - Epilogue: The Shock Announcement

Iker ran his hands through his hair as he looked around the locker room as his team-mates chatted happily about the season so far; he knew that he needed to get home since Mia was expecting his call.

The couple had been doing well with the distance between them and Iker made sure that he called Mia as often as he could even with their busy schedules.

“So are you phoning Mia tonight?” Sergio asked looking at his best friend, he knew that Iker still struggled sometimes with the distance between him and his girlfriend of eleven weeks.

Mia called Iker so much that she tried to at least speak to him twice a day, she didn’t want anything to slip between them and the brunette was determined to make it work.

"Of course,” Iker said with a soft smile, her picture sat in the locker door with pictures of his family and he knew that everyone was surprised that they were still making this work between them.

Sergio smiled at him knowing that Iker wanted so much for his relationship to work, he was fighting for the woman that he loved and he knew that it would work out in the end.

“How is she?” Sergio asked knowing that it had been a while since he had seen and heard from Mia, she was so busy with her new job that she had gotten as well as trying to keep things going with Iker.

Iker paused looking at his friend, he didn’t want to admit that his girlfriend hadn’t been well the last few weeks; he knew she’d had a doctor’s appointment that afternoon and that was why he wanted to call her as soon as possible.

“Mia is fine,” Iker said shortly knowing that he didn’t want to say anything until he knew for sure what was going on with his girlfriend.

***

Mia chewed on her lip as she sat in front of her laptop waiting for her boyfriend to call her, she knew that what she had to tell him was important and that it was vital that he was the first person to know.

Mia brushed hair from her face as she crossed her legs and smiled as the familiar ring of Skype called to her; she moved to accept the call knowing it was Iker.

“Amor,” Iker greeted making Mia smile at him, she knew that he was always going to greet her that way.

Iker allowed his brown eyes to search her face, he had grown used to seeing her over a computer screen and he was sure that it would be a while before he saw her face to face.

“How was your appointment? What did the doctor say?” Iker asked knowing that he couldn’t bear the idea that something was very wrong with her.

Mia offered him a weak smile, she was surprised that he remembered that she’d been to see her doctor that day; she knew she had been reluctant to go and see him but she had needed to.

“It went well,” Mia replied knowing that there was something that she had to tell him, she just wasn’t sure what to say; Iker was so far from her right now that it really scared her.

Iker eyed his girlfriend not believing her for a moment, he could see that there was something worrying her and he wished that she could have been with him right now.

“Amelia… don’t lie to me,” Iker said staring at the screen, he brushed some hair from his face as if knowing that there was something wrong.

Mia squirmed a little as if knowing that it was time to tell him, there was no reason to lie to him over what was going on. Iker continued to watch his girlfriend knowing that she would tell him what was wrong.

“I’m pregnant,” Mia revealed softly knowing that there was no point in denying what was happening, the only worry that she had was that her boyfriend would reject her for carrying his child.

Iker stared at his girlfriend as her words rang in his ears, it was not something that he had been expecting her to say and he knew that they hadn’t been the best when it came to protection.

“Amor…” Iker whispered trying to wrap his head around what was now happening, he swallowed as his emotions passed so quickly through him as he tried to work out what he would do now.

This was not something that either of them had planned for and Mia was now back in South Africa, she had a whole life there and she was carrying his child.

“We’re having a baby,” Iker said deciding to rejoice in the news that they were expecting instead of focusing on the negatives; he wanted to enjoy the news that he was going to be a father for the first time.

Mia nodded her head as she saw a smile growing on his face, she knew that this wasn’t ideal and she was still so far away from him while pregnant.

“Iker, what are we going to do?” Mia whimpered as she rested a hand on her still flat stomach, she was eight weeks pregnant right now and they were so far away from each other.

TO BE CONTINUED…