Part One - Chapter Twenty-Three: Iker's Parents

“Iker it’s good to see you again,” Carmen Casillas said hugging her eldest son, she had missed him while he had been playing in the world cup; she was so proud of him for what he was doing there was just one thing that worried her and that was his attachment to his new girlfriend.

Unai had told his parents everything that Iker had said about the brunette and they were worried that she was going to become a problem for their son; he was coming home soon and they didn’t want a gold-digger clinging to him.

“It’s nice to see you as well madre,” Iker said pulling back, he couldn’t wait to introduce his parents to Mia; he was so sure that they would love her when they finally meet her, she wasn’t like the other women that he brought home to meet them.

Carmen smiled as she nodded as she glanced at the nervous looking brunette that stood just off to the side watching them; she was wearing a blue 3/4 sleeves crepe blouse and white skinny jeans paired with black side buckle detail zip boots.

“Madre… Padre… this is my girlfriend, Mia,” Iker said smiling as he took Mia’s hand, he could tell that she was nervous and she had nearly begged him to leave her back at the hotel when he had left to pick his parents up but Iker had insisted that she come with her.

Mia swallowed as she glanced at her boyfriend, she could tell even if he couldn’t see that they were far from pleased to see her.

José Luis Casillas took his wife’s hand in comfort, they had hoped that they would be able to talk to Iker before they met his new girlfriend; they had wanted to talk to him about this without the brunette present.

“It’s nice to meet you,” Mia said feeling Iker squeeze her hand, he was sure that everything would be fine and his parents would like her.

***

Mia groaned falling back on her bed and ran a hand through her hair, she wasn’t even surprised that Iker’s parents hadn’t warmed to her; she had known that this wouldn’t be easy, but this was just ridiculous.

“That bad?” Anna Ortiz asked looking at the brunette, she had become Mia’s room-mate after Cassidy had been sacked and she was helping Mia cope with the new fame that came with being a footballer’s girlfriend; she was the new shiny thing and everyone wanted to see more of her.

Mia nodded her head as she looked at Anna, she had come back to her hotel room after Carmen had insisted that they take Iker to a family dinner and she made it clear that the brunette wasn’t invited.

“They don’t like me and I have no idea why Iker can’t see it,” Mia said shaking her head as she thought about the awkward silence that had accord on the drive back to the hotel; Carmen and José Luis had ignored her completely even when Iker tried to include her in their conversation.

Anna smiled at her friend knowing that this was far from easy, she remembered when she met Andres’s parents and how protective they had been when she had been first dating their son; she didn’t doubt that Iker’s parents would take some time to warm to Mia.

“It’ll take some time but I’m sure that they will come to like you soon,” Anna said watching her friend, she knew it wasn’t going to be easy; Carmen was a strong woman and she would want to see that Mia was the right woman for her son, someone that he could depend on when he needed her and wouldn’t take him for a ride like Sara had.

“If it makes you feel better… they didn’t like Sara,” Anna said trying to ease her friend’s mind, she knew that there wasn’t much Mia could do but to prove that she was worthy of dating Iker; he was a strong man and he needed someone who would support him and make him even stronger.

Mia looked at Anna and raised an eyebrow at her, she did feel slightly better knowing that Carmen and José Luis hadn’t liked the reporter; she didn’t either but she had a feeling that it was for different reasons.

“Did anyone actually like Sara?” Mia asked curiously, she couldn’t remember hearing anything positive about the reporter; she knew that Sara had some friends with on the team but she never heard anyone speak kindly about her.

Anna laughed and shook her head, she knew that the older woman was right; no one seemed to have a nice word to say about Sara especially since she had tried to blackmail Mia into breaking up with Iker with those pictures.

“She’s just a bit too ambitious… Sara knows what she wants,” Anna said carefully, she had never liked Sara herself since she knew that the reporter had used Iker to further her career in more than one way and now it was clear that she had been cheating on him as well.

***

“So what do you think of Mia?” Iker asked curiously, he had spent most of the meal talking about his girlfriend and the tournament and he hoped that they liked her; Mia was special to him and he wanted them to get along.

Carmen and José Luis looked at one another and sighed at the question that their son had asked them about his girlfriend; there was no denying how they felt about his rushed relationship and they worried for him.

Iker watched them as realisation sunk in, he had been so hopeful that they had liked Mia and while the trip back to the hotel had been awkward; he had tried to get them to talk with his girlfriend but they had been stubborn which he had dismissed because of their long flight.

“You don’t like her,” Iker said as it finally fell into place, he looked between his mother and father who didn’t even move to deny his words; the footballer wasn’t sure what this meant for his relationship but he didn’t like the implications of what could happen now.

Carmen sighed knowing that this couldn’t be easy for her eldest son, she didn’t trust Mia for a moment and she knew that Iker would be able to get over her easily.

“I’m sorry Iker but we don’t… she’s not right for you,” José Luis said looking at his son, he took his wife’s hand knowing that this wasn’t easy; they wanted the best for their son and they doubted that Mia was it for him.

Iker stared at his parents, he knew where this was going and he couldn’t believe that this was happening; he didn’t wish to choose between his parents and his girlfriend, he cared for them both.

“We want you to have fun here Iker… but when this is over, when you return home end things with her,” Carmen said reaching for her son, who pulled back away from her; his heart constricting at the thought of what she was saying knowing what they wanted.

Iker had so many plans for him and Mia, he had been so sure that his parents would welcome her with open arms that everything would be okay; however this caused him problems.

“Iker, she is not the woman for you… she’s just some South African,” Carmen said making her son glare at her, he couldn’t believe that she hadn’t even noticed that his girlfriend was English not South African; he watched his parents for a moment wondering what he was going to do now.