Part One - Chapter Forty-Two: One Last Night

“I can’t believe I’m leaving tomorrow,” Mia said packing her suitcase and sat down on the bed, she looked over at Iker as he paused from his own packing.

Iker was going to be flying off to America with his team for several friendly matches before the start of the new season.

Iker sighed as he nodded his head, he hated that their three weeks together were finally coming to an end; the last week had been amazing and now it was nearly time for them to say goodbye.

“I’m going to miss you,” Mia whispered looking at Iker, they had talked about this and it still wasn’t going to be easy for them.

Mia watched her boyfriend as he sighed and moved over to her, his eyes glancing at her suitcase knowing that it was just a reminder that tomorrow he would have to watch her walk away from him.

“It’ll be okay,” Iker murmured pulling her into his arms, he hated that this was it for them and he didn’t know when he would see her next; it could be on her birthday or it could be as far off as Christmas.

Mia cuddled into his arms and sniffled slightly she wrapped her arms around his waist and closed her eyes.

“We’ve talked about this Mia,” Iker said as confidently as he could, he knew that there was a chance that this could fail but he would fight with everything that he had before he allowed her to slip through his fingers.

Mia nodded her head pulling back from him, her lips pulled into a weak smile as she wondered how she would be able to get on that plane tomorrow and leave him behind.

***

Iker watched his girlfriend as sat on the couch, his brown eyes watching her intently as he messed with the box that he had in his jean pocket.

Mia was wearing a white embroidered cut out top and high waisted denim shorts with side split and rips paired with black lace up flat roman sandals.

“What do you fancy for dinner?” Mia asked looking at Iker, Isco was curled up by her side as she trailed her fingers through his fur; she would miss the Golden Retriever when she went home.

Iker shrugged his shoulders as he moved to sit beside Mia, he really didn’t care as long as she was with him; he wanted tonight to go perfectly.

“I was thinking we could order in,” Mia continued glancing at her boyfriend, she knew that they were trying not to think about tomorrow and she was doing her best to keep things light and positive.

Iker nodded his head as he messed with the box again, he needed to give her this before tomorrow; he wanted her to have it with her when she went back to South Africa. I

ker had picked it up after a training session earlier in the week, he had been thinking about it for a while since he had given her the Tiffany infinity bracelet that she always wore.

“I have a present for you,” Iker said turning to face his girlfriend completely, he couldn’t contain the nerves that he felt as he pulled the small black box from his pocket making Mia look at him concerned.

Mia couldn’t help but feel worried that her boyfriend was about to ask her something stupid that she wasn’t ready for; her blue eyes watched him hoping that this wasn’t what she thought it was.

“It’s still not an engagement ring,” Iker said offering his girlfriend a nervous smile, they had been through this once before when he had gifted her with the bracelet and they still weren’t ready for that.

Mia sighed a little in relief, her blue eyes still held confusion about what Iker had gotten for her; she felt a little guilty that she hadn’t gotten him anything in return.

“It’s a promise ring,” Iker murmured opening the box to reveal the silver fancy 12 point diamond solitaire promise ring that he had bought her.

Iker swallowed as he looked up at his girlfriend’s face knowing that he would feel better if she wore it, he wanted the world to know that she had promised herself to him and he was her only one.

“I want you to wear this when you are back home, I want people to know that you are spoken for,” Iker said carefully looking at his girlfriend hoping that she would agree to wear the ring.

It had been Unai’s idea that Iker got Mia a promise ring, it was symbolise her commitment not only to Iker but to the relationship that she shared with him.

“You didn’t have to do this,” Mia said shaking her head, her blue eyes filling with tears as she wondered how she had gotten so lucky to find Iker.

Mia allowed Iker to slip the ring onto her finger, she felt her heart pounding in her chest as she stared at the ring knowing that she would wear it with pride.

“I did,” Iker said disagreeing with his girlfriend, he wanted everyone to know that she was his girlfriend even if they were going to be living miles apart; something that wasn’t going to be easy.

Mia made a small noise as she looked at the ring that now lay on her left hand, she couldn’t believe that this was the last night she would spend with Iker for a while.

“I love you,” Iker breathed as he pulled Mia into a kiss, he didn’t care what it took; he was going to make this work, he was going to make her his wife one day.

***

Mia stared at the clock beside the bed, her blue eyes locked on the digits as they struck midnight; she sighed as she felt Iker wrap his arms around her waist and pull her close to his warm body.

“Go to sleep nena,” Iker murmured tiredly as he held his girlfriend close to him, he knew that she was still awake and he hated that she was counting down the hours until she was no longer by his side.

Mia turned over and cuddled into Iker’s warm body, she was going to miss sleeping beside him when she returned home; the brunette had known that this was coming but it didn’t make things any easier for her.

“I don’t want to,” Mia whispered looking up at Iker, she didn’t want to waste another moment with him especially since she had so few left.

Iker sighed as he sat up slightly, his hand brushing along her back knowing that he wasn’t sleeping well either; the footballer watched his girlfriend for a moment wishing that there was a way to make their parting easier.

“Make love to me,” Mia said softly as she looked at Iker, she knew that they both had to be up early but she couldn’t help herself. Mia wasn’t sure when she would get another chance with her boyfriend and she wanted to take it.

Iker stared at his girlfriend for a moment before he nodded his head and ducked down to kiss her; his hands eagerly reaching for the bottom of the top that she was wearing to remove it.

“Amor,” Iker mumbled kissing her, he smiled as she eagerly wrapped her arms around his neck and pulled her closer to him.

Iker knew that he wouldn’t get another chance like this and he couldn’t resist showing his girlfriend just how much he loved her, he wanted time to slow down as much as possible.

“I love you,” Mia whispered sitting up a little so that he could remove her top, she would do anything for Iker and she had a feeling that things between them were far from over.