Part One - Chapter Thirty-Nine: Important Conversations

Iker leant against the door frame as he watched his girlfriend play with Isco, he smiled softly to himself as he thought of the past week; he had done everything that he could to make Mia comfortable in his home.

It hadn’t slipped his notice that whenever he tried to talk to Mia about her leaving that she changed the subject; Mia didn’t want to think about leaving him yet.

“Mia,” Iker said softly knowing that they really did need to talk about this, he didn’t want her thinking that they could just end things when she was in a different country; she was his one and only, someone that he wanted to spend his life with.

Mia sighed looking at her boyfriend of four weeks, she knew what he wanted and she didn’t know if she was ready for it; she really didn’t want to have to think about leaving yet.

“We need to talk about this amor,” Iker said moving towards Mia, he knew why she was putting this talk off and he didn’t blame her; he really didn’t want to think of her leaving either but it was going to happen and they needed to be ready.

Mia trailed her fingers through Isco’s fur, she nodded her head hating that they couldn’t just forget that she was leaving; the brunette knew that there was no way that she could stay, it would put too much pressure on her relationship with Iker and they would just fall apart.

“Okay,” Mia said with a nod of her head accepting that they were actually doing this, she was wearing a white cutwork flower tee and low rise denim shorts with lace trim paired with silver flat sandals since they had not long come back from a walk around the park with Isco.

Iker sat down beside his girlfriend trying to sort through his thoughts, this wasn’t going to be easy and the first year would be the hardest but he was determined for this to work.

“I have already said that I’ll call and Skype with you whenever I can,” Iker said knowing that their relationship was going to be based on that to survive; he knew that there wouldn’t be a lot of time for him to always see Mia but he would make time for her when he could.

“I’ll fly out for the holidays and I’ll come over in the summer when I’m not on international duty,” Iker said taking Mia’s hand, his eyes looking at the bracelet that he had given her knowing this wasn’t going to be easy.

Iker didn’t want her to feel that he was forcing her to choose between him and her life back home; it wasn’t fair to ask her to move to Madrid for him.

Mia nodded her head slowly as she thought about his words, she chewed on her lip knowing that this was all that they would have; it wasn’t much but they would have to deal with it.

“I’ll come here when I can,” Mia said knowing that she didn’t have the funds to make constant trips to Spain, she wouldn’t be able to do much or stay long but she would do her part.

Iker smiled at that, he loved having her with him in Madrid and he knew that it meant more to him that she was at least willing to try for him.

“We’ll talk nearly every day, I don’t want to lose you Mia,” Iker said pressing a kiss to her hand, he hated that he couldn’t offer her more but he knew that his future was tied to Real Madrid and he was a one club person; he couldn’t see himself ever leaving the club.

***

“Do you think it’ll work?” Mia asked helping Iker prepare some lunch, she looked at her boyfriend as he paused before nodding his head.

They were both committed to one another even after four weeks of dating, they were aware of how much work that they were going to have to put into their relationship but that didn’t mean they weren’t going to try.

“I don’t think, I know,” Iker said looking at Mia, it was a long shot but they had already been through so much and he was determined to make this work; he wasn’t going to lose Mia no matter what anyone else thought.

Mia smiled at his confidence, she really couldn’t believe that he wanted someone like her; it all felt like a dream that she would wake up from.

Isco sat patiently at Mia’s feet making Iker roll his eyes, the dog had never acted like this when he had been dating Sara and now he seemed completely attached to Mia in the week she had been staying at the house.

“I think I have some competition from Isco,” Iker mused watching his girlfriend feed the dog some chicken, she looked at him innocently as the Golden Retriever moved closer to her again.

Iker rolled his eyes knowing that he was stupid for getting a little jealous of his own dog for getting attention from Mia; he wasn’t even surprised that Isco was becoming clingy to his girlfriend since she was always feeding him snacks and treats.

“Are you jealous?” Mia teased raising an eyebrow at her boyfriend, she grinned as Iker shook his head rather quickly before he wrapped his arms around her.

Iker glared at Isco knowing that he wasn’t going to get jealous of his own dog, it would be silly and he wasn’t at all jealous.

“Iker,” Mia laughed softly as she cuddled into him, she held him close knowing that she would never find anyone like him; the footballer was completely unique and completely hers.

Iker rested his head against Mia’s as he closed his eyes content for a moment, he knew if she asked to stay with him that he would say yes even if it was for selfish reasons.

The couple stayed like that for a moment as they revelled in the feeling of being close, they knew they wouldn’t have many more moments like this and they wanted to enjoy them while they could.

***

Unai rolled his eyes as he looked at his parents, they were still moping about the fact that Iker wasn’t coming to see them and he knew that they needed to make peace.

“Why don’t you invite them both around for dinner?” Unai suggested knowing that if his parents could show his older brother that they could at least be civil with Mia then Iker would speak with them more.

In the week since the celebration banquet, none of them had heard from Iker but they had seen enough of him in the papers with Mia; the brunette seemed to be coping well with the media attention that her boyfriend got.

“I don’t want her in my home,” Carmen said stubbornly, she pursed her lips as she looked at yet another article about her eldest son and his new girlfriend; she really didn’t understand what he saw in the brunette.

Unai sighed looking at his father hoping that maybe he would be able to talk some sense into her; she was going to have to put aside her personal feelings for Mia if she wanted Iker around.

José Luis looked at his wife knowing that they needed to compromise, Iker wasn’t going to just abandon his girlfriend alone in Madrid when she had come here for him.

“Then why don’t we eat at a restaurant?” José Luis suggested knowing that he wanted to be able to celebrate with his son after he had won the world cup.

Carmen looked at her husband knowing that his idea could work, she nodded her head stiffly knowing that she was going to have to be civil with Mia even if she did want the younger woman gone.