Part One - Chapter Twenty-Two: Getting Nervous

Iker smiled as he woke up next to Mia, he rarely had the chance to do so now and he was glad that he had been able to sleep next to her; the brunette was curled up against him sleeping soundly as he held her close to him.

In the three weeks that they had been dating Iker had come to realise just how much happier he had been since she had come into his life; he just hoped that his parents would like her, then everything would be perfect for him.

“Good morning,” Mia said softly as she felt Iker run his hand down her back, she smiled as she realised that he was still by her side; he’d often have to sneak away back to his own room when they were back at the hotel and it was nice to wake up next to him like this.

Iker chuckled as he pressed a kiss to her head, he knew that it could be another eleven days before the tournament would be over and Spain had to get through two more matches to reach the finals and Iker was hopeful that they would get there without any problems.

“Buenos días,” Iker replied as he kissed her softly, he knew that they would have to get up soon so that they could meet back up with the team; he was due to play Paraguay in a few days and he knew that he needed to get back for training.

Vicente had made it clear that he wouldn’t be getting any special treatment, especially now that the relationship was now out in the open; he wanted the team to focus on winning the tournament and nothing else.

“What time are we picking your parents up?” Mia asked pulling back and looked at Iker, her hair was messy and she knew that they would have to get up soon so that they could head back to the hotel before they travelled to pick Carmen and José from the airport.

***

Mia smiled as she hugged her sister, she was a little sad that she was returning to the hotel but she had work and she knew that everything would be okay; the brunette was glad that her family had accepted her boyfriend.

Mia had been a little worried that they would cause problems for her relationship with Iker, they hadn’t liked her ex-boyfriend and it meant a lot to her that they liked her current boyfriend.

“Be careful okay?” Rosie said hugging her sister, her eyes looked on Iker in a glare; she didn’t trust him and he would have to work to prove that he was right for Mia.

The footballer watched the two sisters, he knew that it would be a while before Rosie warmed to him and he didn’t blame her for disliking him; she didn’t know him and whatever had happened in Mia’s past made her wary of him now.

“I’ll be fine,” Mia said still aware of the talk that had taken place between her boyfriend and sister, she could sense a small tension between them and she knew that it was just Rosie being protective; she loved her sister and knew that whatever she had said was for her.

Mia nodded her head, she offered Mia a small smile knowing that she would be okay and if Iker did do anything to hurt her then she would make good on her promise that no one would ever find his body.

“I’ll see you soon,” Mia said waving and headed for the car, Iker moved to open the passenger door for her knowing that when the tournament was over he would be able to show her his world; he was excited to take her back to Spain for a few weeks to show her around his home.

***

Iker chuckled as he watched his girlfriend sort through her clothes, she had picked up a few things from her home before they had returned since she was running low on clothes and she needed something nice to wear when she met his parents.

“You look fine,” Iker said as he watched her try on another top, he couldn’t stop from smiling as she frowned and shook her head before she removed it and threw it into a pile of clothes that were gathering at the foot of the bed.

Iker ignored the look from his girlfriend, even in the two weeks that they had been dating he knew when she often didn’t care how she looked; he guessed that came from living in South Africa with very little income for eight years.

“I have nothing to wear,” Mia groaned as she flopped down on the bed next to Iker, she was slightly surprised that he hadn’t ended up being buried by her clothes when she had started to search for something to wear to meet his parents.

Mia wanted to make the perfect first impression since she doubted they would be pleased that he was dating someone who wasn’t Spanish and so soon after his break-up with Sara; she just didn’t know how.

“Mia you could wear a bin-bag for all I care… you’d still look perfect,” Iker said taking her hand, he didn’t know why this was bothering her so much; he had told his parents how he had felt when he had talked to them.

Iker hadn’t told Mia that he spent a lot of time telling his younger brother about her as a way of warming his family up to her before they met her.

“It takes seven seconds for someone to make a first impression of you… I want to make a good one on your parents,” Mia said making Iker blink at her words, his brown eyes looked at her confused making the brunette sigh.

“I went to business school,” Mia said simply as she shrugged, she nibbled her lip as she stared at her pile of clothes wondering what she was going to do; she couldn’t find anything and they had to leave soon to go and get them.

Iker sighed as he kissed his girlfriend, he didn’t know why this meant so much to her but he clearly wasn’t the person to help her with this; he pulled back knowing that there was someone who was staying at the hotel that could help her.

“Here is what we are going to do… you are going to get your clothes off the floor and put them away, I’m going to get Iniesta’s girlfriend because she is good at this sort of thing,” Iker said brushing his thumb along Mia’s cheek, he knew that this would make her feel better and would probably ease her mind since Anna was a nice girl and wouldn’t make Mia feel uncomfortable about his relationship with him.

Iker was all too aware about some of the whispers from the other spouses that occurred behind Mia’s back, he hated that they thought she was some gold-digger and that some of them were far from welcoming to his girlfriend now that their relationship was public knowledge.

Mia had managed to befriend several of the other women and she often spent her time with them when she wasn’t working or with him; something that eased Iker’s mind as he tried to focus on the matches that were coming up.

“Thank you,” Mia breathed smiling at her boyfriend, she knew that he was glad that she had made some friends with the other spouses; she avoided those who she knew didn’t approve of her and who talked about her behind her back.

Mia didn’t want to cause any problems and she knew that Vicente wouldn’t hesitate to fire her if anything distracted Iker from his game; she might be his girlfriend but there were limits right now to what they could do.

Mia was walking a thin line and she wasn’t sure how much longer before she fell and she didn’t know who would be there to catch her.