Part One - Chapter Twenty-Seven: Making Things Right

“Why am I dressed like this again?” Mia asked looking at Anna and Olalla, she was wearing a pink closet wrap front tulip dress in oriental print paired with black heeled sandals; Mia had even been forced into a new set of underwear for the special occasion.

Anna and Olalla shared a secretive look as they helped Mia get ready, they couldn’t tell her anything about what Iker had planned but they hoped that she’d finally see sense over what had been said.

“It’s a team dinner,” Olalla lied grinning and moving forward to finish styling Mia’s usually straight hair, she had added some curls knowing that the brunette had to look perfect; everyone was in on Iker’s surprise since they all wanted the couple back on normal terms.

Mia raised a perfectly styled eyebrow at the two women; she had been held down by Olalla while Anna plucked and waxed her eyebrows to tidy them up after the brunette had stepped out of the shower that she had been shoved into.

“A team dinner?” Mia asked not believing them for a moment, she was sure that David would have mentioned it to her before now; she would have found a way to avoid it since it meant being close to Iker, something that she wasn’t ready for right now.

Olalla nodded her head knowing that they couldn’t reveal what was really going on since she knew that Mia would refuse to go if she discovered that Iker wanted to see her; the brunette was too stubborn for her own good.

“It’s a last minute thing… Vicente wants to do some team bonding,” Anna said smiling at Mia knowing that her friend deserved to be happy, she had seen how miserable she was without Iker and hoped that Mia wouldn’t continue to push the footballer away.

***

Mia furrowed her brow as Olalla and Anna led her blindfolded through the corridors of the hotel, the brunette didn’t know what was going on but a nervous energy seemed to control her as she tried to figure out what was going on.

“Okay we are here,” Olalla said finally coming to a stop, she smiled as she looked at Anna who moved to knocked on the door in front of them; she grinned knowing that after this everyone would be happy.

Mia frowned as she heard a door open and she was pushed inside, she barely had time to react before the door was closed behind her and locked; Mia removed the blindfold and blinked confused as she looked around.

Mia felt her heart stop at the sight of Iker before her, he smiled at her nervously as she backed away towards the door so she could attempt to escape; Mia cursed under her breath when she discovered that the door was already locked.

“You have to be kidding me,” Mia muttered annoyed realising that she had been tricked, she was going to murder Olalla and Anna when she got out of that hotel room; the room was lit only by candles and she could clearly hear Lionel Richie singing quietly in the background.

Iker took a deep breath knowing that he had to act now if he wanted Mia to listen to him, he was glad that the door had been locked from the outside since he didn’t need her running away from him again; not when he was about to do what he had planned.

“You’ve been avoiding me,” Iker said softly, he didn’t raise his voice as he looked across the room at her, he wasn’t going to shout since he just wanted to prove to her how he felt; he needed to fix the damage that his mother had caused when she had spoken to Mia.

“I didn’t think you’d want to see me… summer fling and all,” Mia whispered trying to ignore the tears that burned her eyes, she knew that she was being silly but she didn’t want him to dump her like this.

Iker shook his head as he slowly approached the brunette, he hated that she was hurting and that it was because of his mother; he wanted nothing more than to make her happy again.

“You were never a summer fling to me Mia… you mean so much more even if it did start out that way,” Iker said knowing that his mother’s words had played on her fears, only Xavi knew how their relationship had started and it had come back to haunt him in the worst possible way.

Mia blinked back her tears, she didn’t want to cry right now and she wanted to leave as soon as possible; she hated how silly she was being.

“I love you,” Iker said cupping her face, his thumbs brushing away the salty tears that trailed down her face; his heart lurched at the fact that she was crying, he didn’t want this to be sad.

Iker offered Mia a reassuring smile before he moved to pull a small box out of his pocket, he saw the panic cross his girlfriend’s face as he handed it to her.

Mia opened her mouth to protest, she didn’t want Iker to do something that he would later regret; they had only been together for two and a half weeks and they were nowhere ready to get married or engaged.

“It’s not a ring,” Iker said knowing what she was thinking, he chuckled as he helped her open her box to reveal the infinity bracelet that he had gotten for her; a smile formed on his face knowing that she was surprised as he helped her put it on.

***

“Lo siento,” Iker said as he enjoyed dinner with Mia, he was relieved that she had allowed him to explain that what his mother had lied to her; he had no intentions to end their relationship when he returned to Madrid, he still wanted her to come with him.

“It’s not your fault,” Mia replied shaking her head, she watched him as he ran a hand through his hair, he had asked her what his mother had said to her since he didn’t know if he could trust what Carmen had told him.

Iker smiled getting up from his seat and walked around to where Mia was seating, he offered her his hand making Mia look at him curiously before she took it and allowed him to pull her carefully to her feet.

Mia blushed as Iker twirled her around before he pulled her flush against his chest, she didn’t know what had gotten into him but she couldn’t help but be impressed; she hadn’t expected him to do all of this for her.

The two of them swayed to Whitney Houston as Iker ducked his head down and kissed Mia, he would do anything for her and he knew that he wouldn’t risk losing her again; the last few days had been a nightmare for him.

“Te amo,” Iker whispered pulling back from Mia slightly, her face was slightly flushed and she was breathing heavily; he grinned knowing that he had been the one to do that to her.

Iker had already cleared it with Vicente for him to spend the night with Mia, he needed to make sure that she believed him about what was going on; he didn’t want to lose her because of his mother.

“I love you too,” Mia replied as she felt Iker rest a hand on her lower back, she smiled up at him wondering why she had been so nervous before; she felt a little stupid that she had been avoiding him.

Mia knew that there was a lot that they still needed to discuss, especially the fact that they lived 7066 miles apart; she needed to know if he minded the long distance relationship that they were going to be in.

Mia knew he couldn’t leave Madrid, just like she wouldn’t leave Broederstroom behind.