Part One - Chapter Thirty-Seven: The Celebration Banquet

Iker couldn’t stop his jaw from dropping as Mia descended the stairs into the room where the celebrations were taking place, the couple hadn’t even had chance to go to Iker’s home yet and already they were at some big celebration banquet.

Mia had disappeared as soon as they had landed and Iker had been disappointed since Olalla had refused to return his girlfriend until the banquet; however now Iker could see why, he knew that nearly everyone was looking at his girlfriend.

“Damn,” Sergio murmured as he looked at the brunette, everyone was dressed in their best and the banquet was to celebrate Spain winning the world cup.

Fernando rolled his eyes and slapped his best friend over the back of his head knowing that if Iker caught him staring at Mia like that then it wasn’t going to end well.

Mia grinned spotting the look on her boyfriend’s face, she had been a little stunned when Olalla and Anna has dragged her shopping for a dress for the banquet but she was glad that they had now.

Mia was dressed in a ruby red A-line deep V-neck empire waistline evening dress paired with nude heeled sandals; she couldn’t help but giggle at the look on Iker’s face.

“Hola,” Mia said pressing a quick kiss to Iker’s lips, she was glad that she’d taken a nap on the flight otherwise she would have been exhausted now; the team had been involved in a parade and other celebrations since they had arrived back in Madrid.

Iker wrapped his arms around Mia and kissed her, he needed to let everyone know that she was his; he couldn’t believe how amazing she looked.

“Hola, you look hermonsa,” the footballer murmured pressing another kiss to her lips, he pulled back slightly to admire her dress; she looked beautiful and he couldn’t resist telling her.

***

“Unai, I would like to introduce you to Mia,” Iker said with a grin as he introduced his younger brother, he hadn’t spotted his parents yet but he knew that they wouldn’t miss this; everyone’s families had gathered for this banquet.

Unai chuckled at the look on his brother’s face, he had never seen Iker like this before and he had heard how much their parents had complained about the brunette; he knew that she had to be something special if Iker was this much in love with her.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet the famous Mia… Iker won’t shut up about you,” Unai teased making Iker blush a little, he had talked to his brother a lot about Mia and how he hoped that their parents would warm to her soon.

Iker could really see this being a long term thing and he knew that they wouldn’t be breaking up anytime soon; his conversation with Sergio was still fresh on his mind.

Mia laughed softly as she greeted Unai, she was glad that at least someone from Iker’s family liked her; she was dreading running into his parents since she was still a little hurt from the stunt that his mother had pulled.

“Madre and padre are both here,” Unai warned knowing that his older brother was still not speaking to their parents and he didn’t blame him for it; Unai was appalled at what their mother had done and he knew that Mia didn’t deserve the treatment that she was getting.

Iker nodded his head as he drew his girlfriend close, he had hoped that they would be at least civil with Mia enough to come and congratulate him but he knew they were waiting for his girlfriend of three weeks to leave his side.

Mia looked up at Iker and offered him a small smile, she knew that when she did run into his parents that she would be polite even if Carmen didn’t deserve it; she still remembered the horrible things that the woman had said.

“I think I’ll go and get a drink,” Mia said knowing that she needed some space, she pressed a kiss to Iker’s cheek making him look at her; it was almost as if he knew what she was thinking and that made her smile.

Iker didn’t release his girlfriend knowing that she was doing this so that his parents could come and see him, it made his stomach turn that they were making this awkward for him; he wanted her with him and he wanted them to see that they were happy.

“Amor,” Iker said with a frown, he glanced at his brother who had already slipped away to speak with someone else; he was grateful that Unai never hover when things were getting serious.

Mia opened her mouth to say something when Iker kissed her, silencing her protests knowing that he wasn’t going to allow her to leave his side alone while his parents were here; he didn’t want his mother ruining things for him again.

“I’ll come with you,” Iker said brushing her fingers against her injured wrist, she wasn’t wearing her bandage but it didn’t mean that her hand had healed yet; it was still a little sore and it would take time to recover.

***

“Iker,” Carmen said approaching her eldest son, it had been a long night and he hadn’t left Mia’s side; it annoyed her to see that the brunette was still very much in the picture even after the world cup.

José Luis followed his wife knowing that they needed to speak with their son, tonight was his night and he deserved for them to at least be civil with his girlfriend; even if the relationship wouldn’t last.

“Madre,” Iker greeted stiffly as he rested his arm on the back on Mia’s chair, a cold look filling his face as he looked at Carmen knowing that he had little interest in what she had to say.

Mia sipped on her drink nervously, she felt Iker’s fingers brush against her shoulder knowing that he could tell that she was nervous; the last time she had seen his mother, she had tried to break them up.

“Felicitaciones,” José Luis said offering his son a small smile, he didn’t want any fighting right now especially since this was meant to be a celebration; he wanted to be supportive of his son, even if he didn’t approve of Mia.

Iker just nodded his head at him, he knew that his father would be willing to be civil but his mother would just ignore Mia completely.

“You will have to come over for dinner sometime,” Carmen said smiling at her son, she wanted to enjoy this moment with him and she was sure that Mia would be fine by herself; she didn’t want the brunette anywhere near her family home.

Iker eyed his mother for a moment knowing that Mia wasn’t included in that invitation, he only had three more weeks with his girlfriend and he wasn’t going to waste them in anyway.

“I think I’ll pass,” Iker said looking at Mia, he knew where he wanted to be and that wasn’t away from her until he had to be; he was aware that when she went back to home, they wouldn’t see a lot of each other.

Carmen pursed her lips as she glared at Mia, she knew that the brunette was the cause of his refusal and she hoped that Mia would be gone soon; she didn’t understand what was going on with them but it was going to end.

“Very well,” Carmen said before she turned around and walked away making José Luis sigh; this was going to be a tough time for everyone since Carmen wouldn’t let this go.