Part Two - Chapter Thirteen: Being Nervous

Mia chewed on her lip as she eyed her phone it had been a week since Iker had asked her to marry him and she still hadn’t told any of her family that she was now engaged to Iker.

Mia knew it was wrong to keep them in the dark about her news especially with her now in the limelight because she was with Iker; however she just couldn’t bring herself to pick up the phone and tell them.

The small family had just returned from their holiday in Portugal and while Iker wasn’t back at training for another moment it was pretty peaceful for them.

Iker was even considering a trip back to South Africa so that Mia could see her family, he didn’t want her feeling isolated from them and he was sure that Danny would love to see his first grandchild.

Mia shook her head as she leant back on the couch and enjoyed the silence of the house, Abigail was snoozing in her rocker with Isco laying at her feet sleeping beside her.

Mia smiled softly as she watched the dog, she was sure that Isco thought that Abigail was his pup or something; he never left her alone unless it was necessary.

Iker was currently out jogging and hadn’t been able to get Isco to go with him, it had been a little amusing and Mia hadn’t been able to keep herself from smiling.

Laying back on the couch, Mia looked at her engagement ring as she tried to think of how to break the news to her family; she could only imagine what her sister would say when she found out.

Rosie already disliked Iker and wasn’t even speaking to Mia right now because she had moved to Madrid to be with the footballer; she wasn’t likely to take the news of an engagement well.

Mia grumbled to herself, she missed her family and wanted to tell them more than anything; she just didn’t know how to tell them.

***

Iker wiped the sweat from his head as he walked into his home, he smiled as he spotted Isco still curled up by Abigail; he was pleased his dog had taken well to the new addition and wasn’t jealous over the attention she got.

Mia was curled up on the couch reading, she glanced up and smiled at Iker as she heard him enter; she knew that he wanted to tell his parents about their engagement and she had only just talked him out of doing so.

“How was your run?” Mia asked softly sitting up a little as Iker sat beside her, she wrinkled her nose a little at the smell of sweat making Iker chuckle as he leant forward and kissed his fiancée.

Mia pushed him back playfully as she smiled, Iker was the perfect fiancé and she couldn’t understand why she was too nervous about people knowing that they were now engaged.

“I was thinking maybe we could invite my parents to dinner on Sunday… and tell them about the engagement,” Iker said smiling at Mia, he wanted everyone to know and he didn’t understand why she was being so secretive; everything was going perfectly for them right now.

Mia stared at her fiancé, she slowly nodded her head as she offered him a small smile; it had been a week and she was sure that it wouldn’t be too bad if they told someone.

Iker smiled kissing her again, he was thrilled that she was warming to tell people; they had nothing to be ashamed of and they were happy.

“When will you tell your family?” Iker asked brushing some hair from her face, he wanted their families to know before the press got a hold of the news; it would only end badly if anyone found out that way.

“I don’t know… I don’t know how to tell them,” Mia murmured looking down at her hands, she felt bad for how she was acting since she was really happy with Iker and she didn’t want to hide anything from him.

Iker took her hands, he didn’t want to rush her and he was all too aware that telling her family wasn’t going to be easy; especially with her sister’s behaviour the past few months.

“We could go and see them… or bring them here, if you want,” Iker said smiling at Mia, he wanted to make things to be easy for them and he was sure everyone would be happy for the couple.

Abigail whimpered making the couple pull apart, Mia flashed Iker a smile before she moved to sooth her daughter; he watched her knowing that he would do anything to make her happy and if bring her family to Madrid did so then he would do it.

***

Danny ran a hand through his hair as he finished work for the day, the weather was baking and he was glad that he was done for the day.

Walking out of his surgery, Danny smiled as he spotted his wife waiting on the doorstep with their two year old son; he still missed Mia but he was happy that she was living her life.

Iker clearly loved her more than anything and Danny was happy for the couple especially after they had welcomed Abigail into the world.

Danny spoke to Mia several times a week with her calling as much as she could now that she was living in Madrid; she had been a little off the past week but Danny had passed it off as being tired from having a baby.

“We have an invitation,” Alice said stepping down the steps to hand Robert to his father, she had been surprised when the call had come and she had known instantly who it was when she had heard the strong Spanish accent.

Danny raised an eyebrow at his wife as they walked into the house, most of the children had flown the nest now and the house was as peaceful as it could be.

Rosie was living with her husband in a house about twenty minutes away, Olivia had moved in with her boyfriend Cedric Fatani and they ran a bar together and Evan was back in Bristol living with his father and was currently at college.

“Iker called… he’s invited us to Madrid for a week,” Alice said smiling at Danny, she was aware how hard traveling with a baby would be and the couple had already made the trip once with Abigail.

“Apparently… him and Mia have some wonderful news to share with us,” Alice said with a smile, she had a feeling that she knew what Iker and Mia had to tell them and she was sort of excited to go to Madrid.

Danny stared at his wife, it had to be important if they were being invited to Madrid and it made Danny curious about what had to have happened; he had a feeling that Iker might have proposed or Mia was pregnant again.

“Iker is even insisting that he pay for our flights,” Alice said smiling, she had always wanted to go to Madrid and wasn’t going to pass up on this opportunity; they never had a chance for a holiday while they had Leopard’s Den to run.

Danny sighed realising there would be no saying no to his wife, there was only one problem to their plans and that was that Rosie was going to flip.

Rosie refused to back down on her stance and hadn’t spoken to Mia in two months now, she was missing out on so much and she would miss out on more if she didn’t change her mind soon.

“Okay,” Danny said making Alice grin, she had already told Iker yes and she couldn’t wait; this was going to be an interesting trip and she was sure Mia was going to be surprised.

Now they just had to find a way to break the news to Rosie.