Part One - Chapter Twenty-Six: Still Hurting

Xavi smiled as he spotted Mia returning to their hotel after the match, he had been waiting to see her since he knew that she wouldn’t go near Iker; he wanted to at least try and talk to her about what happened.

Mia had been with Anna to get some dinner, she hadn’t felt like eating with the team and Anna had insisted that Mia come out with her and Andres to get something to eat; she didn’t want her starving herself over what had happened.

“Mia,” Xavi called moving towards the young woman, knowing that he had to talk and hopefully get her to speak with Iker; he hadn’t seen his friend since the match had finished and he had heard from Sergio that he had gone shopping or something.

Mia paused as he approached her while Anna just patted her on her shoulder and headed off with her boyfriend, knowing that Mia would be fine by herself with Xavi; he was Iker’s best friend and wouldn’t let anything happen to her. “

How are you?” Xavi asked as he looked at her concerned, Mia was clearly still upset about what Carmen had said to her; he doubted that Iker would ever forgive his mother for what had happened.

Mia nodded her head as she crossed her arms, she didn’t really want to talk about any of this and she just wanted to forget what an idiot she had been; she had truly thought what she had with Iker was something special.

“Listen I know what happened with Carmen and she was out of order to talk to you like that,” Xavi said softly trying to make the conversation easier, he could see that the brunette was hurting and he wanted to make things better.

Mia sighed as she looked at Xavi, she knew what he wanted from her and she wasn’t sure if she could speak with Iker; Carmen’s words were stuck in her head and it confirmed her worse fears about their relationship.

“Can we not talk about this?” Mia asked nibbling on her lip, she had hardly spoken about this to Anna and Olalla and they were trying to get her to open up about what had happened even if everyone did know what had transpired.

Xavi watched her for a moment before he nodded his head, he hated that Carmen had ruined this for Iker; he had been so happy and everyone had been happy for him except his parents.

“Of course but I want you to know this, Iker loves you Mia and this wasn’t a summer fling for him,” Xavi said continuing to watch her, he knew that his words wouldn’t do much but he hoped it would repair some of the damage that Carmen had caused.

Mia nodded her head as she looked at him, she wanted so much to believe that Iker wasn’t using her for a summer fling; she wanted to believe that he loved her like she loved him.

***

“So where did you go?” Sergio asked curiously as Iker sat down on the couch and watched David Villa and Pepe Reina playing FIFA: he knew that everyone would be curious about where he had disappeared to after the match.

The captain shrugged as he sipped on his water, it was getting late and he hadn’t long returned back to the hotel and he wasn’t surprised to find that Mia was still avoiding him.

“Come on Iker… we are worried about you,” Fernando said looking at his friend, everyone could see that Iker was hurting and no one blamed him for not speaking to his parents after what had happened; they wanted to help him in any way that they could.

Iker sighed as he looked at his friends, he would need their help if he was going to pull this off and he hoped that he would be able to win Mia back.

Iker moved to collect a bag that he had brought back with him, he had been to the local shopping complex and had been thrilled to find a jewellery store.

His friends all shared a look, wondering what he had bought while he had been gone; they watched as Iker pulled a box from the bag and they all hoped that he hadn’t gone and bought an engagement ring.

“It’s not a ring,” Iker said as if knowing what his friends were thinking, he had wanted to get something that showed Mia he was serious about their relationship and how he felt about her.

Iker carefully opened the box to reveal the Tiffany’s infinity bracelet that he had bought, he had no intentions of rushing his relationship with Mia; she meant too much for him to mess this up.

“I wanted to get her something special,” Iker said shrugging knowing that this was only something small, he had everything planned out and he was determined to make his feeling perfectly clear to his girlfriend; the press were starting to notice that the Spanish captain’s new relationship was in trouble.

Fernando smiled at his friend knowing that Iker wasn’t going to allow Mia to slip away, everyone could see that the two were meant for one another and they were both hurting right now.

“That’s really sweet Iker,” Fernando said making a couple of the others roll their eyes, things were a mess and that if something wasn’t done then Iker would lose his girlfriend of two weeks; she already refused to speak to him after what had happened with his mother.

Iker nodded his head as he carefully put the bracelet back in its box, he wasn’t sure how he would get Mia to agree to speak with him but he was determined to make things right before the match against Germany.

“So what’s the plan?” Pepe asked realising that it would take a lot to convince Mia to meet with Iker; she was going to avoid him no matter how hard Iker tried.

***

Carmen sighed as she walked into her hotel room, she had hoped that her son would consider joining her and his father for dinner after his win; she didn’t know why he was so upset about losing Mia, when she wasn’t that important to him.

José Luis looked at his wife, he could see that she was hurting about what Iker was doing but he didn’t know what to do to fix the divide in their family.

It was clear that Iker really cared for the brunette and Carmen had been wrong to meddle in their relationship, she had done something that she shouldn’t and he was upset with her as well.

“He still won’t talk to me,” Carmen said sitting down and looked at her husband, she knew that he agreed with her on some of the things about Mia; however he had been anger to learn what she had said to the brunette.

José Luis had been surprised to see Mia genuinely upset about what had happened, he hadn’t thought that the brunette had really cared for his son until he had seen her like she was.

“It’ll be okay… just give him some space,” José Luis said as he comforted his wife, they were due to fly back to Madrid before the match against Germany; they had work to return to and he hoped that his son would come around before they left.

Carmen sniffled as she nodded her head, she had done the right thing in her mind and she hoped that Iker could see that; he was blinded by lust into thinking that Mia was perfect for him.

“I hope so,” Carmen said as she rested against her husband’s warm embrace, she had a horrible feeling of doubt that she had maybe made a bigger mess of things than she had intended.