Chapter 39

Ruby POV-

We were carrying Uncle Qrow since he was poisoned and West was not looking good either as he was behind us walking slowly using a large stick he found to help him out. I keep telling him he needs to rest since he seems to have the flu but he just says he's fine. I hear Uncle Qrow cough.

Ruby: Just hold on, Uncle Qrow.

Me and Jaune are carrying Qrow on a makeshift stretcher. Ren is ahead of us on the path, leading the way while Nora brings up the rear and making sure West doesn't fall behind to much. I hear Qrow groaning in pain and is being delirious.

Qrow: Tai. She's not... coming...Tai.

Qrow coughs repeatedly.

Jaune: He's getting worse.

Ruby: How much farther?

Nora: We've gotta be close.

Ren: Without the map, there's no way of knowing. But I feel like we're close to something.

Ren puts his weapons to the side and runs to a sign.

Ruby: What is it?

Directly ahead is a fork in the road with a signpost. We are coming from the direction of Higanbana. Kuchinashi and Mistral are to the right, where the land has mountains. To the left is Kuroyuri, its name crossed out. The path that way remains low ground.

Nora: Hey, hey! Mistral! We're on the right path! Oh...

Ruby: Does it say how close?!

Ren: No. And it looks like the path takes us up the mountains.

Jaune and Ruby set Qrow down. As West sits down next to Qrow getting some rest.

Jaune: Guys, I don't know if all of us can make that climb.

I look at Qrow and West, concerned that they won't make it.

Ruby: Okay. Well, what about this place? Kuro... Kuroyuri? Can we get help there?

Jaune approaches right beside me.

Ren: That village was destroyed years ago.

Jaune: But if it takes us around the mountains, it's the best bet we've got.

Ren: It will take too long.

Ruby: The town would have had a doctor, right? Maybe we could scavenge for medicine!

Jaune: Right!

Ren: We're not going to find anything! We just have to press on!

There is just a brief moment of silence. I watch him, clutching his clutching onto his chest.

Jaune: Ren, why are you acting—

Suddenly I see Nora cut off Jaune.

Nora: We can split up.

Ruby: Huh?

Nora: Ren and I can cut through the mountains while you and Ruby take Qrow and West around through the village.

Jaune: No, we're supposed to stick together! We keep each other safe!

Nora: We don't have time for safe! If we make it to Mistral, we'll bring back help! If we don't, at least we'll have a better view of the land! Up there, we can see if there's somewhere else we can go!

Ren turns and looks at Nora. They exchange small, affectionate smiles. Still holding his gaze, Nora drops her hand from his shoulder. We all remain silent, feeling the weight of the choice before them. Qrow coughs, making us all turn in concern and giving the motive to continue. Then I see West try to get up but falls back down. I run up to him to make sure he's ok.

Ruby: Are you okay?

West: I'm fine Ruby. I can make it.

He starts to shake a little bit as he gets up and starts to walk.

I see Jaune look at me before turning to Nora and Ren.

Jaune: OK.

Jaune steps forward and he and Ren hug each other.

Jaune: Just take care of each other.

Nora: We always have.

On the path to Kuroyuri, Jaune and Me lift Qrow as West follows. They turn to Nora and Ren, who are on the path through the mountains to Mistral. They nod and Nora waves. Ren starts to turn, looks back one more time, and then runs. Nora follows.

I went ahead and tried to comfort Jaune.

Ruby: They're gonna be fine, Jaune.

Jaune: You don't know that.

I look down and continue the journey.

(Timeskip)-

We arrived and saw a sign that said Kuroyuri.

Jaune: Oh, man.

Ruby: Come on.

We continue forward as we look around.

Ruby: Any of these places look like a pharmacy?

Jaune: It's... honestly hard to tell.

Ruby: Ren really didn't want to come here, did he?

Jaune:Uh... didn't seem so.

Ruby: Do you know... why?

Jaune: I think I have a pretty good idea...

The two of us continue on and try to look for medicine but no luck.

Jaune: Anything?

I just nod my head no as we go to wear we left Qrow and West next to a giant tree.

Qrow leans against the dead tree, groaning. Though not conscious, he holds a hand over his wound. I look over beside him West not really doing anything but sitting there I can't even tell if he alive other then his chest moving up and down.

I then hear a creature make a loud noise from off in the distance, causing both me and Jaune to turn. Jaune's hand immediately goes to his sword and looks around for the source of the noise.

Ruby: It's far off.

Jaune: I know, but Ren and Nora are still out there.

I looks at Qrow before standing and approaching Jaune.

Ruby: I'm sorry.

Jaune: Huh?

He turns around to face me, though I don't looking up at him.

Ruby: This is all my fault. I should have never dragged you guys into this.

Jaune: You didn't drag us in. We wanted to come.

Ruby: But you didn't know about Tyrian, about—

I was cut off by something breaking behind me. I look and see West punch the dead tree and try to get up.

West: This isn't anyone's fault Ruby, because if we didn't come you would be dead.

It hurt but I know it was the truth. I just looked down as he continued.

West: Besides we lost a lot so what. All we can do now is keep moving forward. So do me a favor and give me a smile.

I looked down but decided to look up with a sad smile on my face. He gives me a thumbs up before he just falls over.

Ruby: West!

I get him up and positioned him on the tree as he laid there. I just sigh with relief seeing that he is still alive.

I then hear footsteps as I look to see Ren and Nora there.

Ruby: What are you guys doing here?

Suddenly we heard a roar from behind us. I look behind and see a giant Grimm with it lower part of its body being a horse. It seems to be twitching as it stares at us.

Jaune: Oh Boy.......

————————————————————————

This is the chapter I hope you enjoyed it and I'll see you in the next one I guess.