Chapter 71

Ruby POV-

Me and the group approach a building with a glowing green plus symbol above its front door. We see the door open, and a Faunus with a prosthetic arm exits, waving cheerfully to the man who speaks to her from inside.

???: And no more heavy-lifting, yah hear?

Maria: Ah, it's good to see you again, old friend.

An older man is sitting behind the desk, shuffling things around in a drawer. Maria clears her throat, startling him, and he lifts his head to look at her, shutting the drawer. Maria smiles at him.

Old man: Ah, yes, yes. Have we met?

Ren: Well, this is off to a fantastic start.

Ruby:(Thoughts): Oh no....

Maria: Cybernetic optical implants. You adjust them. Every ten years or so?

He stares at her for a few moments before throwing his hands cheerfully into the air.

Old man: Maria!

I sigh a breath of relief as we see him come from behind his desk with a robotic chair he is sitting in begins walking towers Maria.

Old man: Yes, with the cybernetic optical implants! I adjust them every ten years or so.

He offers his hand to her and leads her to an examination table as he laughs.

Old man: Oh wow, has it been that long already?

Maria: Ah, I know. I age like a fine wine. Would've been here sooner if I hadn't run into these jokers. At the time, I thought they might need my guidance while fighting a little old Sphinx.

Old man: Oh, did they?

Maria: No, no. They had much more complicated issues.

Qrow: And this is?

Maria: So impatient. I didn't think I'd need to introduce one of Atlas finest minds.

Yang: Working in a place like this?

The building creaks, and a ceiling tile falls to the floor.

Maria: He likes to keep a low profile. Something I've come to realize none of you know anything about.

Pietro: You can call me Pietro.

Maria: Finest heart, too. This pharmacy is just where he volunteers when he's not building the future of Atlas alongside Ironwood, up in the clouds.

Pietro: Oh, it's stuffy up there. Down here, I get to help the locals and have a little fun. I'm currently working on shoes that make you dance. Wanna try 'em on?

Nora: YES!

Yang: Before we get to that, we were wondering if you could help us. We came to Atlas hoping to talk to General Ironwood, but um...

Blake: What exactly has been happening here?

I see Pietro look down sadly.

Pietro: Well, the Fall of Beacon took a toll on all of us. James was no different. I couldn't tell you exactly what it was he saw there, but it changed him. He's...

Qrow: He's scared.

Pietro: Paranoid would be the more appropriate term. You have to understand, it wasn't just the Grimm. Someone completely dismantled Atlas security code, made it their play-thing, and made us look like traitors to some and buffoons to everyone else. Whoever managed to do that is either a genius or one of our own. I fear the answer may be both, and so does the general.