Chapter 61

Ruby POV

We were walking on a trail to somewhere as the snow picks up. I look behind me and see West in the distance walking very slowly. Soon the snow starts to pick up even more.

Qrow: Doesn't look like this is gonna let up.

Blake: Just wanna get this stupid Relic to Atlas.

Weiss: Let's hope we don't have to walk all the way there.

Yang: I thought trails led somewhere.

She seemed to glare at West from the distance as I just sighed but then I heard something.

Ruby: Everyone, quiet. Do you hear that?

Everyone stops in their tracks. A metallic squeaking can be heard. A large farm can be seen, one of the front gates swings back and forth with the wind. A large sign above the entrance reads BRUNSWICK FARMS. We soon arrive at the gate.

Blake: Well, at least one good thing happened today.

Weiss: It looks abandoned.

Ruby: It's still better than this.

Qrow: Come on, I think we could all use some rest.

He opens the gate to let us in but closes it before West gets in as he walks to the gate and opens it. We start to look around the undamaged buildings.

Ruby: I don't get it. The empty towns I've passed through were all damaged or unfinished. But this place looks... fine.

We then arrive at the porch of a residence. Weiss is shivering as she wraps her arms around her to keep herself warm.

Weiss: Maybe everyone left in a hurry. Before things took a turn?

Qrow tries to open the door, only to notice it was locked.

Qrow: Hmm. Stay on guard.

Qrow kicks the door open, we proceed forward with our weapons drawn. We cautiously look around the place.

Maria: Close the door already! It's cold enough in here as it is.

Maria walks into the house as does West. I see everyone take a step back being uncomfortable around him. Afterwards, Blake and Oscar push a nearby drawer to block the door.

Blake: I saw a chimney from the outside. Maybe we could get a fire going?

Weiss: Please. I'll look for some blankets.

Qrow: Yang, go with her.

I linger by the entrance hall for the bit while the others look around as West seems to stand next to me.I start to walk forward to notice a group of pictures on the wall of the family that owns Brunswick Farms. Blake walks up next to me with West staying next to the door.

Blake: What do you think?

Ruby: Something doesn't feel right.

Blake: Let's look for some--

Suddenly, I hear Weiss scream.

Ruby: Weiss!

Me and Blake head up the stairs and run into the room Yang and Weiss were in. Qrow also arrives. We look on the bed to see a pair of decomposing corpses...

(Timeskip)

I watch the fire burn as I see Weiss watch it, still shaken from what she saw earlier. Blake wraps a blanket around Weiss before sitting on the couch Yang is on. We then hear the door open and close, and West comes in the room with snow on him.

West: It's the same in every house.

Yang: What?

West: Bodies. Every bed in every home. It's like the whole estate just went to sleep and never woke up.

Weiss: Then we're not staying here, right?

West walks to the fireplace and tries to warm up as Weiss scoots to the side a little afraid.

West: We don't have a choice. Storm outside's only getting worse. You all freeze to death before we made it anywhere.

Maria: Well, might as well get comfortable.

Yang: Yeah, fat chance.

Ruby: Okay, then, let's do something. If this place wasn't abanodoned it might still have supplies we could use.

Oscar: Hey, yeah. Maybe even a car.

West: I'll do another sweep of the grounds. No one else goes anywhere alone.

Blake: Yang and I can search the other buildings for vehicles.

Yang seemed annoyed.

Yang: Fine, whatever gets me out of this house.

Yang and Blake leave trying to make distance with West. I get up and move the door to let them exit. Afterwards, I looks over to see Weiss at the doorway to the living room with a worried look on her face.

Ruby: Food always makes me feel better. Just saying.

Weiss: Right...

We start to walk down stairs see a door. I open but it was super dark as I went ahead and turned on my scroll in order to see better. Then I see Weiss use her weapon to light up the candles in the room.

Weiss: There.

The two of us look around the room. Shelves are full of alcoholic bottles and a bar is seen as well.

Ruby: On second thought, maybe we should keep this room closed.

Weiss: Huh?

Ruby: I'm just... Not sure how well my uncle's taking all of this.

Weiss: Oh.

Ruby: Come on, we'll never get to Atlas on an empty stomach!

I walk forward, though Weiss lingers and sadly looks down. I then open up another door.

Weiss: Ruby? Are we really still going to Atlas?

Ruby: Why wouldn't we be?

Weiss: I mean... you heard what Jinn said. If there's no way to kill Salem, then what's the point in all of this?

Ruby: Weiss, you can't be serious.

Weiss: Sorry, I- I don't know what I'm saying, I'm just really tired and I really, really hate this place. Anything in there?

I turn around and uses my flashlight to look around. I sees more alcoholic bottles arranged on a shelf on the right side of the room as I become annoyed.

Ruby: More alcohol... At least we'll never have problems starting a fire.

Weiss: What's that?

The two notice a large, metal cellar door in the ground. Its handles are chained together.

Weiss: A wine cellar? Great.

I then looks up to my left and lets out a yelp before zooming over.

Weiss: What? What is it?

Ruby: Food!

I hold out a can that says Beans. Weiss looks at me dissatisfied.

Weiss: Canned food?

Ruby: Oh trust me, you put enough salt on anything, and it will taste juuust fine.

Weiss: Well, I guess it's better than nothing.

The two of us share a smile. Weiss walks over and helps me grab a few cans of food.

Weiss: But I still seriously hate this place...

We then start to leave the bar and back upstairs.