26

NIGHTFALL came and they stopped to rest and renew their strength by a rocky river bank shrouded with bushes for good cover. They placed their boats near them for safety and to be sure their contents were well guarded. Not a star was in the sky, merely pure pitch black. The full moon glowed down on them eerily and they still looked about wary of their surroundings. The feeling of someone or something watching them was too heavy to shake.

They lit a small fire not enough to attract too much attention to them. Not much conversation was made and they silently ate their meals. Sam had noticed that Frodo wasn't eating nor has he eaten anything all day. He tried to get the ring bearer to atleast take a small bite of lembas but Frodo wouldn't have it and shook his head stubbornly.

After dinner, Aragorn and Lou scouted a bit of the area together and set up their perimeters. It was all clear so far and they made it back nearer to the others. They saw Boromir leaning against a big rock, gazing upon something in the waters. A lone log appears to be floating by itself down the river but it seemed to be too controlled and heavy to be a light log freely floating. They squinted their eyes and saw white slimy hands grasping the wood.

"Gollum" Aragorn grimaced. "He's tracked us since Moria. I hoped we would lose him on the river. But he's too clever a waterman"

"If he alerts the enemy of our whereabouts, he'll make the crossing even more dangerous" Boromir said.

"If he is a threat why don't we just dispose of him now? We could literally go over to where he is at this moment and have him done with" Lou replied crossing her arms.

Aragorn shook his head. "Our enemy tortured him and made him suffer, I doubt he would want to return to them. He is not on their side neither is he on ours. Long as he doesn't bother us we have no need to engage with him"

"Minas Tirith is the safer road. You know that. From there we can regroup. Strike out for Mordor from a place of strength" Boromir argued stepping closer to Aragorn.

Aragorn moved a bit closer to him as well. "There is no strength in Gondor that can avail us" he retorted.

Lou stood by the side watching the tension between the two men grow. She could feel and argument brewing. She had been around Steve and Tony for too long to know when a verbal fight is about to take place. Sure the two were friends but they were quite opposite and had their differences and oppositions here and there.

"You were quick enough to trust the elves! Why have you so little faith in your own people?" Boromir replied aghast that Aragorn would quickly trust a different race but would not trust his own kind. "Yes there is weakness. There is frailty. But there is courage also! And honor to be found in men. But you will not see that!"

Aragorn, having enough of the conversation, moves to walk away but Boromir roughly pulls him back by the shoulder, not quite finished with him yet.

"You are afraid! All your life you have hidden in the shadows! Scared of who you are, of what you are!" He shouted at Aragorn with all his frustration and anger yet his voice was slightly shaky. He accused Aragorn of being afraid but he was scared as well. Scared for his people. For his kingdom. What would become of them? His father's rule was failing. They need a king. They need Aragorn.

Funny how Boromir goes from "Gondor needs no king" to pushing Aragorn to take his place on the throne.

Aragorn shoves Boromir's hand off his shoulder. "I will not lead the ring within a hundred leagues of your city" he whispered sternly emphasizing the phrase 'a hundred leagues' to show Boromir that they were never ever taking the ring anywhere near Gondor.

Lou decides to step in at this moment where the two men seemed to be having a face off glaring at each other and staring the other down. She steps in between them and places a hand on Aragorn's arm to calm him down. It effectively works as his shoulders bagged down and he sighs easing his tension.