36

NIGHT fell upon them and the darkness came. The moon and the stars shined bright and the fires they lit glowed like a single match in a dark room. The chatter had ceased as the villagers and the townspeople of Rohan began to fall into peaceful slumber. The guards were keeping watch and patrolling around to ensure everyone's safety as per usual. Felina and Legolas went off being part of the first patrol along with Gimli.

Gimli and Felina had left to go scouting with the guards a while ago and Legolas was perched on top of a tree, well balanced on its branches with his bow in hand and his arrows on his back. His elvish eyesight served them well. So far he could see no threat for miles. They would be safe for tonight.

His ears twitched when he suddenly heard the branches behind him shake. He glanced back and saw it was Felina. He gave her a small smile and said "Good evening"

She promptly returned the greeting. "How is your watch?" She asks.

Legolas shrugs. "Uneventful" he answered.

Felina nodded. "Uneventful is what we need" she replied. She sat down beside him gracefully hopping from her branch to his.

"It is quite peaceful tonight" Legolas said. Truly not a sound was to be heard except for the occasional footsteps and a few shuffling around by those still awake at the hour.

Felina breathed in the cold fresh air and sighed deeply letting her whole body relax "I seldom get quiet and tranquil moments like these. I learn to treasure them when they happen"

"How is it that you seldom get moments like these?" Legolas asked.

"Well, I've been in the fight my whole life. I mean, when I graduated college I immediately joined the army and fought wars. After that I became a spy and an assassin, then an Avenger"

Legolas tilted his head at her with a confused frown. "Did you not want to become anything else before that?"

Felina gave it a thought for a while then shrugged. "No I don't think so, nothing comes to mind. Lou wanted to be a chef before. Dia wanted to be a lawyer. Me? I think all I've ever known is the fight" she paused "And when you've lived a life like that I think you would pretty much crave for moments like these. Just peace and silence and the warmth of being with people you care about" she gave Legolas a small smile which he gleefully returned before turning his attention once more to the sky.

She gazed up on the stars like he did. She could appreciate their raw beauty in the clear dark blue nights sky.  "The stars are so beautiful. Back at my world there would be so much smoke and fog most of the time and I couldn't see the sky this clear"

Legolas glanced at her when she spoke then reverted his eyes back to the sky. "They truly are marvelous"

Felina only nodded and hummed in reply. She then turned to ask Legolas "What is the special connection between stars and elves? My father always said mother loved stars and the same seems true for most elves including the half elf part of me"

"The Elves first awoke under the stars. They were the first thing they saw when they came upon existence" Legolas explained.

"I see" Felina said with a nod of her head.

Legolas then gave a small sigh. "I do not know why, but besides that, I feel like I have my own personal connection to them"

"How so?" Felina asks with her head tilted to the side and one eyebrow slightly quirked up.

"They remind me of my mother" Legolas replied lowering his head. Felina involuntarily lowers her head as well at the mention of the mysterious deceased woman.