28

ARAGORN rested his ear against a  rock. He could hear the faint thunder of a hundred footsteps running with haste. He closed his eyes and tried to calculate in his head how far apart they were from the object of their pursuit.

They were now on a slightly rocky mountain with grass here and there. The air was slightly thin where they were from up high making them pant a bit harder to breathe. The view was absolutely breathtaking with the plains and forests below them and neighbouring green mountains close by and a gushing waterfall falling down to a flowing river, the same    waterfall from where they previously were from, far across them. It was a beautiful painting of nature consisting of blue and green and a bit of grey from the rocks.

On any other day, Lou would have paused to take a selfie but now wasn't really the time when they were breathing heavily and looked extremely haggard. The sun's heat rained down on them and Aragorn with his closed eyes could see red from its brightness. That red soon disappeared as Lou's shadow covered him.

"So?" She asked, her hair in a pony tail lightly bounced as she put her  jog to a stop.

"Their pace has quickened. They must have caught our scent" Aragorn told her. He then turned to the others behind him. "Hurry!" He shouted then continued running with Lou close behind him. Hot at her heels was Felina. Not far behind was Legolas. Legolas paused for a bit and turned back to see if Gimli was still there like he usually did every once in a while. The dwarf with his short legs could barely keep up with them who had longer legs thus longer strides. Felina would sometimes levitate him so he wouldn't fall behind but she could only do it for so long because she had to save her energy.

"Come on Gimli!" Legolas called out. The dwarf huffed and puffed trying his best to catch up. He paused for a small moment trying to catch his breath. He rested his hands on his knees and slight bent over.

"Three days and nights pursuit. No food! No rest! No sign of our quarry, but what bare rock can tell!" The dwarf grumbled before going to catch up once more.

They ran and ran and ran nonstop atop the mountain ridge. The Uruks definitely were hastening their footsteps. They knew they were being followed. They went up and down hills, ran on top of rocky mountains, their feet always in constant motion. They sometimes crisscossed in their paths jumping from one high rock to the other and ran in zigzag to avoid obstacles on their way. That and the blaring hot sun threatening to fry them alive along with them barely stopping to eat or drink was enough to be disorienting. Still they thought of their friends Merry and Pippin and wonder what those terrible Uruks might be doing to them. They couldn't stop. They had to save them.

Soon they took the trek down the mountain, which was a lot easier than going up since gravity was in favor of them and hastened their footsteps downward. The only thing left to do was control their speed and make sure they don't trip. A part of the trek down was terribly rocky with jagged edges that could cut through your skin. Huge rocks were in abundance in all different areas and there was barely anything to hold on to. To make things even better, the way was steep.

Pretty much every one had a bit of a struggle except for Legolas who was light on his feet and Felina whose feet were stuck to the steep mountain side yet not falling down from imbalance because of her telekinesis.  She then flew all the way down to the foot of the mountain first and made sure the others wouldn't trip or fall and quickened their footsteps. Despite that, Legolas somehow still manages to lose his footing for a bit when he was near the bottom and goes falling down and almost collided with Felina had she not held her arms out to catch him. She had her hands on his torso steadying him and their eyes met when they realize how close they were to each other. Felina slightly tensed at that.

Legolas shot her a shy smile putting distance between them seeing she was uncomfortable. He mentally reprimanded himself for being clumsy. A great way to impress the princess really, being a bit of a klutz. "Sorry" he said.