34

THEY were gathered in the hall that nights with the torches lit and pillars of fire burning, keeping them warm and giving light and a certain glow to the room.

Aragorn, Lou, Gimli, Legolas and Felina were seated on a table where dinner was served for them. There was chicken, roasted beef, salad, some warm soup, water and beer. Everyone still wore the same outfit they had worn at the funeral. Gimli had been chugging on the beer nonstop since they got there. Lou would be as well but Aragorn convinced her to try and keep her drinking habits on check so she stuck with the water.

The King sat at his throne distressed, resting his forehead on his palm and Gandalf sat beside him. It had merely been a few hours after the burial when another problem had risen. In the hall were two children. Siblings, a boy and a girl. They had arrived near sunset on a horse. They had come a long way and were tired and hungry. Their faces were dirty and their clothing now tattered and muddy. Now they were being fed and Eowyn knelt beside them.

"They had no warning. They were unarmed" she told Theoden standing up and turning to face him. "Now the Wild men are moving through the Westfold burning as they go"

Legolas and Aragorn share a look at this.

"Every rick, cot and tree" she placed a blanket on the little girl's shoulders. The little looked up to her with a confused frown. "Where's mama?" She cried. Eowyn gently shushed her. Lou and Felina shared a small saddened look.

Gandalf gestured to the little boy and girl. "This is but a taste of the terror Saruman will unleash. All the more potent for he is driven mad by the fear of Sauron"

Theoden sighs and removes his head from his hand looking at nothing head on. Gandalf placed his hand on the King's armrest making Theoden glance at him. "Ride out and meet him head on. Draw him away from your women and children. You must fight!" Gandalf said with emphasis.

"You have two thousand good men riding north as we speak. Eomer is loyal to you. His men will return and fight for their king" Aragorn spoke up.

The King stood up from his throne exasperated. "They will be three hundred leagues from here by now! Eomer cannot help us!" He said.

"King Theoden. I have the ability of flight. With speed, I might be able to catch up to them quickly" Felina suggested.

Theoden shook his head. "I know what it is you want of me. And Lady Felina with your abilities or not it won't do any difference to change my mind. I would not bring further death to my people. I will not risk open war"

"Open war is upon you whether you risk it or not" Aragorn retorted.

Theoden turned and looked pointedly at Aragorn. "When last I looked" he said "Theoden, not Aragorn was King of Rohan"

This made Gimli drink his beer awkwardly and Felina and Legolas share a look. Lou gave a low growl only those near her could her and was about to raise her hand and make a move she would later regret when Aragorn takes hold of her hand. She glared at him and he gives her a small shake of his head. Lou sighs in defeat and lowers her head angrily picking and stabbing her food with a fork. The tension was beginning to build when Gimli suddenly tore through it with his burp. Gandalf also spoke up "Then what is the King's decision?" He asked.

The next day the town was crowded with busy people. The citizens have been packing out of their houses carrying their belongings on horses or in chests. They hustled about bringing items out of their homes and there was chatter everywhere. Questions arose.

"Why are we leaving?"

"What's going on?"

"Why does the King think we need to leave?"