35

IT was the next day. The people of Rohan trudged on along the road to Helms Deep. They carried their belongings on carriers and beasts of burden. Every family stuck close to each other with every mother having a close eye on their children. The guards were scattered all around them, ready to protect them from any danger that may come but fortunately they had not encountered any sign of peril yet.

They walked in a line and some were on horses. They took little breaks from time to time but they were rare since they were walking with as much haste as they could with children and the elderly. The women, children, and the elderly were given turns on the horses and a good amount had a horse of their own.

Most of the people had never even been this far from Rohan before. They are amazed to see the many incredible views of nature around them. The green forests with trees that swayed in the wind. The giant magnificent mountains all around them. The blue clear rivers and lakes that ran for miles. The vast and open wild plains and valleys. The hills that gave shape to the level ground.

It was a  beautiful day with fair weather and the sun was shining brightly. A gentle breeze kissed their cheeks and caressed their skin. Lou rode side by side with Aragorn on a horse of her own. Felina and Legolas had been separated from them, as they were told to split up and spread out in groups to keep guard over the people. Now she rode beside Aragorn with Gimli in front of them speaking to Eowyn who walked alongside the horse Gimli was mounted on. He was talking to her about his race.

"It is true that you don't see many dwarf women. And in fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they are often mistaken for dwarf men" he said. Eowyn glances back at Aragorn.

"Its the beards" Aragorn whispered to her gesturing to an invisible long beard on his chin"

Eowyn smiles and turns back to listen  to Gimli. "And this in turn gives rise to the belief that there are no dwarf women and dwarves just spring out of holes from the ground!" Gimli said with a hint of sarcasm and humor in his voice making Eowyn laugh. He laughs along with her. Lou and Aragorn who watch the scene from behind smile as well.

"Which is of course, ridiculous" Gimli said before his horse bolted and ran forward. The dwarf shouts in shock and alarm. Eowyn runs after him. The horse doesn't go too far. Gimli falls from it and the horse seeing its rider had fallen, stopped in its tracks. Eowyn laughs joyfully as she helps Gimli up from the ground.

"Its alright! Its alright! Nobody panic! That was deliberate! It was deliberate" Gimli said trying to cover up for his clumsiness.

Lou shakes her head with a smile and shared an amused look with Aragorn. Suddenly, King Theoden rode up beside her. "Haven't seen my niece smile in a long time" he told her and Aragorn. "She was a girl when they brought her father back dead. Cut down by Orcs. She watched her mother succumb to grief and she was left alone to tend to her King in growing fear. Doomed to wait upon an old man who should've loved her as a father"

As Lou listened intently, she realized that she and Eowyn were pretty much very similar. It was an uncanny coincidence. Both their parents died and they were adopted and taken care of by their Uncles. They were more alike in that way. King Theoden rode ahead of them. Aragorn and Lou look to Eowyn. She catches them looking at her and sends them a small smile.

They continue on their way and by late afternoon, stopped to take a break. They were to camp on the valleys for the night. The guards went around and set temporary borders and some of the villagers set up their transportable tents. Everyone was starting to get settled in for the evening. The small remainder of the Fellowship was regrouped except for Gimli. He was somewhere walking around looking for some ale. The rest, Aragorn, Lou, Legolas, and Felina were seated in a circle. Eowyn went up to them and offered some stew. Everyone but Aragorn declined.