30

FANGORN had an eerie aura to it. The atmosphere was dark and heavy and the sun couldn't seem to penetrate through the place. There was a sense of drama and tragic backstory about the place. Something seemed to wrap around their surroundings that made everything seem so suffocating.

The ground was covered in tree roots and big round rocks smothered in moss, barely seeing any naked soil. A few dark slimy looking vines dangled down from the branches of the trees. A small stream of water flowed but even though they were thirsty, the liquid didn't seem trustworthy enough to ingest. The air had an unfamiliar whisper to it and the branches of the trees swayed with the breeze groaning and making creaking noises like a squeaky door. Felina wouldn't like to admit it, but she was slightly panicking inside feeling a bit claustrophobic. She didn't have good experiences with tight dark spaces.

Gimli inspected a solitary leaf from a bush, and brought it to his tongue. He immediately spits. "Orc blood" he says disgusted. Lou and Felina share a glance. That must have been the orc that followed Merry and Pippin. Then they looked to each other in concern. How did Gimli know it was Orc blood by tasting it?

They decided they didn't want to know.

Aragorn bent down on the ground sifting through the little bare soil that showed. He narrowed his eyes suspiciously before standing up. "These are strange tracks" he said.

"The air is so close in here!" Gimli gasps. Felina's claustrophobia didn't feel any better after Gimli said that. She was uncomfortable. Practically gasping for air on the inside like a fish out of water but she would not show it. Lou who knew about her severe claustrophobia, tapped Felina on her shoulder. Felina turned to her and Lou gestured to her head. Felina understood and heard Lou say to her through telepathy.

"Are you going to be okay?"

Felina merely nodded and replied. "I will manage"

"This forest is old. Very old" Legolas said looking up at the tall dark trees, almost seeming like pitch black. "Full of memory" he pauses and his eyes widen as if he felt something around them. "And anger"

Legolas looks around warily and so does his companions. A chilly wind blows and Gimli raises his ax preparing for whatever may come. There were more groans coming from the trees and their branches swayed from side to side making more sqeauky noises.

"The trees are speaking to each other!" Legolas exclaimed.

"Say what now?" Lou asked in confusion. This was just beyond weird. Talking trees was really something else. So far in her "normal" life she hasn't encountered anything like that.

Aragorn looks at Gimli. "Gimli!" He whisper shouted to him.

"Huh?"

"Lower your ax" Aragorn says doing a lowering motion with his hand. Gimli reluctantly does so.

"Oh" the dwarf says in realization and does as he is told.

"They have feelings my friend" Legolas said. "The Elves began it. Waking up the trees. Teaching them to speak"

"Talking trees" Gimli grunted. "What do trees have to talk about hmm? Except the consistency of squirrel droppings"

"Probably all the abuse mankind has given towards nature, but other than that... nothing much I guess" Felina replied. The others glanced at her. With her usual cool and monotone voice, it was hard to tell if she was seriously being sarcastic.

Legolas continues to scan the area and he suddenly notices something. "Aragorn nad no ennas" he says with urgency. He walks forward and the rest follow after him.