Chapter 16- better days

London
"Yes you think that I could meet you sometime to take a look at it."

I peek over the corner and see Khalil on the phone while shaking up the baby bottle.

He paused in place and whoever was on the phone spoke. "No the pictures were perfect. And the sneak peak you gave me was amazing."

I cock my neck in confusion and feel a tugging on my leggings. I look down and see King pulling and smiling.

"Why you pulling on my pants?" I say in a baby voice picking him up.

"Huh? Who said you could pull on my pants?" I start tickling him.

He giggles and I enter the kitchen with him on my hip.

Khalil sees me and scrambles. "Yes thank you so much...Next week.. perfect..Alright bye."

I scoot on one of the chairs with King in my lap.

"You hungry?" Khalil asked as if he was never on the phone in the first place.

"Who you on the phone with?"

He smirks, still looking nervous. "I got a little sum sum planned for King on his birthday."

Tomorrow was Kings birthday and we really were going all out. It's his first birthday and you only get one first birthday so I figured go big or go home.

"What's this lil sum sum you got?" I ask intrigued.

Khalil shakes his head and wiggles his finger in my face. "No no no. Its a surprise."

I slap his finger out my face and almost drop King while doing it. It startled him so he began to cry.

"Awww I'm sorry baby." I cooed and rocked him. "Mama ain't try to do it."

Khalil smacks his lips. "See you got that little boy being a punk. Let him walk." He walks over and takes King out of my hands, making him stand.

"What if he don't wanna stand. He wasn't even bothering you dang." I say rolling my eyes.

Khalil continued cooking, grabbing a plate to put the eggs on. He squats down to King's height.

"Say lil man, you a punk?"

King, not knowing what that word even meant, nodded his head. Khalil plucked him.

"Khalil don't touch my son." I defend him, pulling him back to me.

Surprisingly, he didn't even cry. If anything he looked shocked and if it wasn't such a bad time, I would've busted out laughing

Khalil ignores my comment and turns his attention back to King. "Imma ask you again. You a punk?"

This time King shakes his head quickly.

"That's my twin." Khalil's says dapping his son up. He returns back to his kitchen taking bacon out of the oven.

"You got that boy spoiled." I say taking in the delicious aroma.

"Got you spoiled too obviously. But this food is for you." He dumps the 3 slices of bacon on my plate.

He puts the pan in the sink. "Oh and you might have to go back to your crib because Alex and Jabari are coming back this afternoon."

I rub my face with the psalm of my hand. "We gotta get a place." I stress. "It's hard doing all this back and forth."

Khalil comes up to me and rubs my forehead before kissing it. "I know."
_________________
Alex
"So what's gonna be your next move?" Khalil asked me.

I look towards him and take another sip of my drink. "Ion know. She ain't talked or texted me since I saw her last."

"You think she just playing hard to get."

I shrug my shoulders. "I don't know what type of game she tryna run but I'm not playing. She got me looking weak out here."

Khalil nods his head. "I feel ya."

"I say you should take off aand leave her." Jahari comments before eating his wings.

"Man you probably right." I say defeated.

Khalil smacks his lips and hit the table to get my attention. "Bro is you dumb or are you stupid? If you want that girl then you better go get her because she probably gone be the one in the long run."

I stare at Khalil in disbelief.

Jabari does the same. "Mannnnn you buggin. You get in a few breakups with London and know you think it's cool to crawl back? I think not" Jabari responds

"But how many girls you pulled with yo strategy? And nah I mean these hoes up in the streets. I'm talking about an actual girl."

Silence.

"My point exactly." Khalil states.

Before it can get out of hand I come back into the conversation.

"Aight Imma hit her up. So y'all chill out." I say laughing. They was real talk mad at each other.

Khalil turns from his serious face and started laughing again. "But man guess what happened  today?"

Me and Jahari say what in unison.

"London almost caught me on the phone with the realtor."

"Ooouuuuuu" jahari says in a kiddie voice. "How you play it off."

Khalil leans back in the chair. "Told her it was for King's birthday party."

I dap King up. "My man."

"Yea I thought for sure she was gonna go all FBI on me but she left it alone"

Nibbling on that nasty carrot that came with the wings, I say, "when you gonna take a look at the house?"

"She basically already gave me a sneak peak of it but imma meet her on King's birthday party to finalize everything and get the keys."

Jahari gives me a look.

"What?" Khalil ask

"Don't mess around and miss Kings birthday party or you'll never hear the end of it from her."

I point towards Jahari. "He has a point."

Khalil waves us off. "Man I got all of that handled."