CHAPTER 10

[Darshan]
I was walking with her silently looking down until I bumped into a masculine chest. I looked up to find a man with quite long moustache, strong biceps and dressed in an improper manner. I was utterly terrified. "S... Sorry", I said and he was looking angry and then Aditi said, "Anna, said sorry na.... Leave it. Close the matter". Is this girl mad? How come is she so brave? She is not afraid of anyone?? The man looked at her and then he asked as if knowing her, "Is he with you? " and she nodded her head in a yes. The man left us and I asked, "How do you have guts to approach people in such a way? ". "In what way? ", she asked coolly sipping the bottle and I asked, "In this bold manner... " . Her reply was real but impractical to most of us. She replied, "Who said I am not frightened? It is just that I know I have nothing to lose and even if I am frightened why should I show it to the world? It will just encourage the world to bully you and nothing else... So just hide ur frightened soul with a bold mask". I shot another question, "Do u know him? ". "Yes... Once while returning home some people were teasing me while I smacked their faces, this guy then asked me to join his gang but I refused. On hearing refusal he was furious and was attacking me while I smacked down his face too. From then on he is afraid of me.... But I lent a hand of friendship and now he doesn't trouble me nor does he trouble anyone with me... ", she explained the incident and I was impressed, shocked and amazed the way she told it coolly. Her home neared and I said her, "Ur home has come" and she replied, "It's not home, it's a house". "What's the difference between home and house?", I asked desperately to know more about her outlooks. "House is something where u live to spend ur life's 8-10 hours of rest or even 24 hours of rest but home is someone who is comfortable to u, it is someone who feels like an eternity to u, someone who stays by you even though the world disowns u.... ", she was saying as her voice trailed off. "I think I should go", she said as she threw the beer bottle at the roadside dustbin. I decided to go to her house and become her home. I followed her as she was sneaking in like always and as I neared the door I heard yelling through gritted teeth and mild sobbings. My heart was pierced as I heard it. I turned around and went away. As I stepped in the house my dad switched on the lights and asked, "Where had u been? I asked you to come home before 12 and u r here at 12.30??". "Actually Rahul had misplaced my notes and we took time to find it", I said the lie that I had prepared. "Okay...... Go and sleep now. It's too late... ", he said and went to sleep. I went into my room and opened my jacket and laid down on the bed. It was cold and she was in a full sleeves T-shirt without even a sweater. She must be sleeping late or even may not be sleeping at all coz her eyes look as red as tomatoes and she is even weak at times. It feels like she will faint any moment. Does she eat also something???? Her situation felt much more miserable than I heard through the doors and she didn't want to dip my finger into that. Is she so helpless or is she hopeless??

[Aditi]

As I described him about home and house, I felt like I had none of them. It was true that Manohar chacha loves me, but we hardly share a conversation. I didn't have a house of my own and no one was interested in my life. Who would be interested in a dark, silent soul who doesn't know anything else rather than darkness and death? I silently sneaked in but as usually Ruksar chachi caught me. As usually she pulled my hair tightly and slapped me harder. I went into the kitchen and washed the dishes and then I freshened up. Now it was nearly 1.30. I was sleeping early today and I needn't wake up at 4.30. I could wake up at 5 and make the breakfast as I had no work at "The Royals" the next day. My work would begin at 2.30 PM so I had to skip 3 classes. But it is okay, I guess. I slept peacefully that night after many days I was getting to sleep more than 1 or 2 hours.

My alarm clock buzzed off at 5 which woke me up. I woke up and finished the house hold chores. I got 2 days relief from the college. I freshened up and prepared the breakfast at some 5.30. After preparing it I went out to my place, i.e., the hill like raised platform. The scene looked breath taking. I was awestruck that something can be as beautiful as this. It was a really cool morning and I had nothing to cover myself up except my full sleeve T-shirt. My wrist watch struck 6.45 and I walked back home.

On reaching home, I made myself a cup of coffee and Manohar chacha called me to have breakfast. I turned towards Ruksar chachi. Her eyes were purely red with anger so I denied. They didn't know about my suspension so I just cooked up a lie that there was holiday in my college. After Manohar chacha went out, Ruksar chachi asked me to drop Manvi to school. I dropped her to school and I went back home. Ruksar chachi demanded a cup of tea and I made it for her. After drinking a sip she threw the rest on me saying that it was too sweet. She didn't like sweet. "Going to college and don't u know how to make a cup of tea?? ", she snapped at me while I stood there hanging my head low. "What a start of day!! Don't know what will happen... ", she continued. She went to her work after sometime. I cleaned the floor where the tea was spilled all over. I again went to the washroom to freshen up. I didn't touch any of Manohar chacha's family's things. What I had was all of my own. My bed consisted of a single portable mattress, my books consisted of my college books and nothing else. My clothes were pretty shabby and old but I didn't mind them as no one ever noticed me. I took my diary which contained all my feelings from class 4 till date in the form of poems and stories. I didn't want anyone else to know about it. After I completed it, I decided to take a one hour nap.

The alarm buzzed for the zillionth time and I looked at it. Fuck!!! It had been 2 hour since I slept. I rushed to the kitchen and prepared the lunch. At 1.30 I would have to pick up Manvi and at 2, I had to deliver the lunch to Ruksar chachi. How could I sleep so much?? However, I prepared the lunch and directly went to Manvi's school. I picked her up. After her freshening up I laid the lunch for her. She finished her lunch and went to her room. I slowly locked the door and went to Ruksar chachi. After coming back, I unlocked the door and informed Manvi that I was going for my work. I, then went to my work. Rachel shouted at me for being late by 15 minutes. But it didn't bother me and I began my work.......