CHAPTER 23

[Darshan]
We entered home after a long hour. I sat on the sofa in the living room to open my shoe laces. Aditi went straight to her room. I threw my head back and sat on the sofa. I wondered what Aditi must be doing so I went to her room. I knocked on the door twice and popped in. I saw her sitting on the balcony with her fags. "Can't you stay away from smoking? ", I asked annoyed by her this habit. "How can you expect me to do that? ", she back questioned with a smirk. Then she got a phone call and she picked it up. While having the conversation, her expressions changed. Her face showed into a depressed and frustrated expression. "Darshan.... Actually I have to go for some work.. Please don't mind", she said. "Okay... ", I said still wondering what was wrong. After nearly 3 hours, she came back home. Her T-shirt was stained with blood. Her face was covered with her hand as she threw herself on the sofa. "Adi.. ", I slowly called her. Her head jerked up and I saw her face. Her eyes were blood-red, puffy and swollen. "Yes.. ", she slowly replied. "What happened? Were u crying? ", I asked in the same low tone. "No.. Nothing has happened.. I wasn't crying ", she said as she sniffed in audibly and rushed to her room. I could surely say that something was wrong but I didn't know what. This kept on happening for 3 days until my patience was over. "What's wrong with you? We have been friends since a month and u don't say anything. Ur privacy is bothering me. I know everyone needs space and privacy in their life but if something is wrong, u should share it rather than keeping it to urself.. ", I directly snapped. "Darshan, it's nothing.. It is the way I keep myself ", she said calmly. "What way? Is this a way? While I jabber everything about my life.. U don't even bother to say anything.. Just get out of my sight until u talk to me", I raged with anger. The next thing she did was she took her bag and went away. Seriously!!? She didn't even come with me to home. She didn't speak a word with me after that. I went home. It had been 3 hours and she wasn't at home. I was getting tensed. Then I heard a knock on the door. I opened it to see Rajesh had come. "Hi", he chipped happily. "Hey", I chipped. "Is Aditi at home? ", he interrogated peeping into the house. "No.. Actually she is not at home.. If you have any work with her.. Say me", I said. "She isn't at home either? No.. Nothing much... Just wanted to say that Swikruti is fine now and I wanted to thank her for getting her to the hospital on time but neither did I get her in the college nor at work ", he said. I was confused. I didn't know what he was saying. "Can you explain what u r saying? ", I asked perplexed. "Hasn't she said u anything? ", he asked me. Foolish fellow. If she would have told me then why would I ask him! However I shook my head in a no. "Actually Swikruti is my girlfriend ", he said blushing and continued, "3 days ago she met a terrible accident and I was at my work. My manager wasn't present at the moment so it was hard for me to get out of there. I called Aditi and she took her to the hospital and she even paid the hospital bill. She was in a critical condition and now she is fine. All credits to Aditi". Tears filled my eyes as I realised my mistake. "Where is she though? Do u know anything about her? ", he interrogated and I shook my head in a no. It was raining heavily and I was searching for her everywhere but I didn't find her. At last I went to Mike's place. She was sitting leaning against a tree with a cigarette in her hand. Mike was in her arms. "Adi.. ", I lowly called out her name. She was completely drenched in rain. Not a single inch in her body was left dry. I guess she drenched herself in the rain since it started raining. "Darshan.. What r u doing here? U r all wet.. U will catch cold.. Go home", she said concerned. "Yeah.. I drenched myself in rain.. Came all the way here just to go back home ", I said sarcastically. She looked down. "Adi.. I am sorry", I said. "For? ", she raised her brows and asked. "For.. All that I spoke in the morning ", I said my head hung low,  "I didn't know anything about it.. Rajesh had come home and he said everything ". She smiled and we walked back home. While walking back, I saw a piece of paper falling down from her pocket. I picked it up. It was written, "The darkest nights came and went but darker nights kept coming ". What did that mean? As we walked back home,  I decided not to think about it. I asked her, "Why didn't u come back home? ". She replied, "Bcoz u wanted me out of ur sight and if I would go back u would surely get my sight". My heart was shattered. She obeyed each and every word that left my mouth. "If I would have told u to 'go to hell' then? ",  I asked. "Then I would probably stand in front of a truck to knock me down", she replied and I slapped her hard. "Don't ever say that again... Please... U r too precious to be lost", I said in a low and soft voice. It was true.. Her soul was needed to be conserved.. Not to be destroyed..