Chapter 27

"Where is the bloody doctor?"

Zayn shouted down the phone,pacing up and down, with a crying child on his arms. He's been on hold for the paediatrician for five minutes and Yasmeen's screams were getting worse.

Harry had woken him up flustered and had to rush off to a meeting with potential clients and Yazz was refusing to eat and he was running late. Zayn had called his mom and did everything she told him to do, check the baby's temperature, it was a little bit high and he gave her some medication for that. Trisha had assured him its probably a cold. A bath might help cool her down, she said.

He was getting her ready for the bath when he noticed the red spots on her back, like a rash but there were also small blisters. He's heard about meningitis in babies but he's never seen it up close, doesn't know what it's supposed to look like and doesn't want to waste time looking it up. That's why he's on the phone for the paediatrician but he's been put on bloody hold.

"Mr Malik..its Dr Cowell."

"I've been on hold for bloody five minutes, what took you so long?" Zayn yelled in tears himself .

"I'm sorry about that Mr Malik. What seem to be the problem with your daughter?"

"You should be telling me what's the problem, doctor, I spent ten minutes being questioned by the receptionist on why I'm calling before I could be let me through to you." Zayn spat down the phone angry, rocking the baby back and forth. "You should have enough to go on after that interrogation."

"She was just the rules Mr Malik, now please, can you tell me what's wrong Yasmeen has a rash, that's right?"

"Yes she has.." Zayn nodded though the doctor could not see him.

"Can you described it to me, what it looks like? Where it is exactly, when did it start?"

"I've noticed it this morning," Zayn said exhaling, "its on her back, its red, but there's also like little blisters."

"What do the blisters look like?" The doctor asked.

"They look like blisters look, except they're like tiny?"

"They don't look black a bit, do they? Can you look for me now please?"

"Alright." Zayn put the phone down on the coffee table, turned the baby around to look at the rash, picked up the phone again. "They're not black." He said shaking his head.

"Has she got temperature?"

"Yeah...she does.." Zayn kept rocking the baby back and forth.

"What you've described to me sounds like chicken pox which is not life threatening, all children get it at some point. I can hear she's quite agitated so you need to bring her to the clinic for a proper examination are you able to do that? As soon as possible?"

"Yeah." Zayn nodded. "Yes I can do that"

"Okay then, I will see you in a bit Mr Malik"

"Bye.." Zayn tried calling Harry but it went straight to voicemail, "Shit.." he groaned frustrated when he remembered Harry had meetings this morning. He called him at work nonetheless but was told he was in a meeting, he expected that but trying his luck, even Yaser was not available, he left a message for him to call as soon as possible.

There was not time to waste ringing around, so, with a changing bag, juice, bottle of milk and a restless baby dressed in a fluffy white romper and secure in the car seat, Zayn was driving off to the doctors. He's never been more grateful to Dr Jonas recommending a paediatrician who's clinic is based in a hospital till now, he sighed in relief when he reached the clinic. Thankfully, Yazz had stopped crying and was just whiney and fidgety by the time he parked the car.