Brisk Death

The snow storm whipped my long brown hair all around my face. I looked down toward my battered, bloody hands. I couldn't feel any pain; The burning-cold sensation I was accustomed to, did not make itself known now.

I stared blankly into the grey distance ahead, at nothing. I can't stand or move an inch from the snow piling around me.

Warmth seeped out of the wound in my stomach. I couldn't tell if I was still breathing at this point. With barely a thought in mind to take action, I dug my fingers in the open bullet hole, pulling out the venomous perpetrator.

I couldn't muster the strength to keep myself upright anymore. Just as I collapsed into the clouds of ice, beyond the furious gusts of wind, a grey figure approached. In the end my victim's blood and little of my own stained the pure white snow, stealing my consciousness away.

"You are a unique specimen"

Dr. A spoke to me. I could only assume at least 2 doctors were inside of that room; The room on the other side of that dark glass pane. The one that they used to hide their cold, calculated stares. I didn't respond and kept my eyes glued to my feet blankly, i felt like nothing.

I knew my appearance, but not much else: dark, straight brown hair and steel silver eyes was noted in their files. When I gazed in the reflective surface of the glass, they looked to be a dull grey, a dead stare that drained the life from my face. The pallor of my usually light brown skin made me look sickly, like a zombie.

"Subject: CHAOS", Dr. B, a female voice spoke. "Pay attention."

I was sitting on my pristine mattress as I got up and staggered closer to the wall. As I got closer, the sound of thudding, like a frantic heart against the ribcage, became louder. Was the wall alive? 2 people... no, three. One is writing. One is speaking to another. One is looking at me.

If they were afraid they should act like it and let me out.

I could see my sunken cheeks better now.
Even though I could not see who it was, I sensed their unease in the irregular manner of their breath and heartbeat. I knew that they expect more results from me, exceptional achievements to add to their collection of beasts and mystics. So I complied.

Every test made me stronger and I patiently waited for my time to strike, even though I felt like dying.

"This is something new." Doctor B said. The usual trio for experimental drugs was here: A,B, and R.

On cue, a tray stuck out of the wall revealing a small steel box. I walked over to the box and opened it calmly. Inside there was a needle with dark blue liquid inside. Are they too afraid now to administer the drug themselves? I'd underperformed lately to avoid this scenario.

"Stick the needle into your spine and it should automatically release". Doctor A ordered, taking notes on his clipboard. His pen rushed across the paper, I could hear its frantic chase.

I followed the directions. Sticking the needle into my bony spine.

Immediately- hot lava spread across my rib cage and tailbone before erupting when it reached my heart.
It hurts. It really, really hurts. I can't-

I clutched my chest and panted viciously before greeting darkness.

I awoke relishing the calming warmth on the back of a stranger. We trudged through thick snow, passing tall trees, reaching aimlessly to the sky. I recalled dozing in and out of consciousness in the snow storm before it receded, revealing vast mountains piercing the lifeless atmosphere.