Chapter 8

Chapter 8

A couple of hours passed since Vihaan had returned to the Bundela mansion but a part of him was still lingering in the backyard of the orphanage where he had left some tasks incomplete, some hopeful faces lonely, and one innocent girl longing to save herself. Although he was feeling the strong urge to reach the orphanage again but then he had very little hope. The only thing that he could do was order his messenger Gora to secretly keep an eye on the orphanage and inform him if there was any unusual activity.

Durga was sitting at the dining table when Vihaan came down for breakfast the next morning. Although she had seen her son back home safe, the previous night, she could not gather courage to initiate any sort of conversation with him. Her illness was on treatment and Vidya was taking considerable care of her. The moment she saw Vihaan taking a seat on the chair vertically opposite to her, her eyes glinted with certain joy and satisfaction.

As Vidya laid the plates on the table for breakfast, Dheeraj and Virendra joined them soon after. Virendra passed a quick glance at Vihaan and Durga, hoping that the mother-son duo would reconcile soon.

"Vihaan, do you know the amount of worries you gave us for the past couple of days!" Dheeraj initiated the conversation, taking a bite of sandwich from his own plate.

Vihaan wasn't really concentrating on what Dheeraj was saying and he simply shook his head. As soon as he thrust the pancake into his mouth, he exclaimed with horror, pushing his plate aside. "Why is it so spicy? You know very well that I don't like spicy foods at all. Where are my cups of coffee?"

Vidya fetched the tray of coffee and placed two full mugs of the warm liquid before him. She then replied to his direct chiding, "I am not your mother who will be cooking as per your requirements. I did whatever I could."

Vihaan did not waste time to glare at her with his killer eyes, but instead kept his gaze fixed on the pair of coffee mugs before him. "Do you think you are doing us a favour? Even if my parents do not realize, I very well know why you keep wasting your time here when you should be busy attending your duties at the hospital. I thought you were a responsible doctor!" Vihaan said in his usual loud voice taking a quick glance at Dheeraj.

"I...I am sorry," Vidya could manage to utter an apology instead of pulling the argument further. Her eyes were already gleaming with tears and she walked her way out of the mansion. Dheeraj followed her, leaving his breakfast incomplete while Durga felt a little nostalgic with Vihaan's behaviour.

"Come on now Vihaan, you shouldn't have spoken to her in such a tone. She must have been very hurt with your rude behaviour. She was staying here on our insistence only, she was taking your mother's care like a daughter and not like a doctor." Virendra chided him sternly.

"I am sorry dad. But don't worry, she will be alright. Brother has gone to console her. Can we move to some important topic that we need to discuss?" Vihaan apologized humbly and Virendra nodded, giving him permission.

"Do you know Sanchi personally?" Vihaan's direct enquiry forced Virendra to widen his eyes.

Straightening his back against the chair, Virendra said, "Why do you want to know about her? It's not that I have seen you getting interested in women more often."

"Please dad, this is not the answer to my question. You don't know what all I went through in these three days!" Vihaan had his eyes focused on his father even though he knew Durga's eyes were constantly fixed on him.

Virendra sighed audibly and scratching the back of his head, he confessed, "I know everything, son."

"You know, you mean? Please elaborate and be fast. I don't have much time left." Vihaan was growing impatient.