Chapter 13

Chapter 13

Sanchi was taken to Durga's room for a quick repose before the reception took place at their bungalow. The new development had excited Durga to the greatest level and she was enjoying all of the precious moments with her new daughter-in-law.

Durga sat beside Sanchi on the bed and took her palm in her strong grip. "Sanchi, I don't know how to express my joy, the happiness that you have given me today. I had already given up all my hopes of getting my son married to someone. He was leading a life where he had no aim other than his duties. You came to our family like a bright lamp with rays of good hopes."

"I have not done any-thing, it was he who deci-ded to, I...I mean..." Sanchi fumbled to speak for herself and pressed her lips together in silence.

"It's alright, I don't need to know the background history of your love story. I'm more than happy because you chose to marry my rigid son. Why are you stammering, Sanchi? I'm like your mother, you don't need to be afraid of me," Durga assured her. She knew it was necessary for Sanchi to feel at home in the new place altogether.

Sanchi gasped with a soft whimper before saying, "I am not stamm-ering due to some fear, I stutter since child-hood. I'll have to face it...it for the rest of my life. I hope you will not hate me for my ton-gue."

Resting on the walking stick, Durga said admirably, "I am sorry if I've hurt you by saying that. Your stammering is nothing before the great things you have done in life. You saved my husband and my son's life, and I owe you so much. I can never hate you. My son chose you even though he hates stuttering things and it clearly proves that you're capable for everything."

Sanchi passed a weak smile at her and Durga left her alone in the room for a short nap. As Sanchi lied down on the bed with her eyes facing the ceiling, her mind wandered to the new developments in her life. Only she knew that Vihaan hadn't chosen her and he hated stuttering things as usual. She knew she was the image of mockery to people and incapable of anything.

Her impression on the Bundela family was better than expected but it had nothing to do with her marriage. Her contract was temporary and she knew she had to embrace the exit one day.

But could she really deny the marriage that happened in real, could she ever erase the memories of the first person who imprinted his marks on her with the vermilion and sacred thread, and could she ever forget the moments that she would spend as a married woman in her in-laws house?

*****

Durga met Dheeraj in his room soon after. He showed her the pictures from the short wedding and Durga's gorgeous smile won his heart. He was seeing his mother's rich smile after so many months and he hugged her instantly.

"Dheeraj, are you alright, son?" Durga asked, placing a couple of wrappers on his bed.

"Yes I am," he said, staring at the gift wrappers. "What are those for?"

Durga laughed again. "They contain a wedding black tuxedo for Vihaan and a grey suit for you. You both are going to wear them tonight."

"But mom, why did you get both of it here?"

"Because you are supposed to convince Vihaan into wearing the dress tonight and attend the party. He seems to listen more of yours than any of us," Durga spoke convincingly.

"I know mom, I got it. I'll talk to him again." Dheeraj continued staring at the wrappers without a blink.

Durga stepped near her son and held his wrist. "Something is definitely wrong with you. Now tell me what's wrong?"