Chapter 58

Chapter 58

The preparations for Nidhi's alliance were taken well care of by Sanchi with the marriage date drawing closer. For the past couple of weeks, time quickly flew by without much realising it. Sometimes, she used to wake up to dreaming of Vihaan the whole night, shivering and shifting positions in sleep.

Rigorous fear used to grip Sanchi whenever Vihaan's thoughts crossed her mind. Worrying for his well-being and guessing if he was out on any dangerous mission again, she never failed to daily offer prayers for his good health and safety. Her philosophy of far-sighted love was making it too difficult for her to live without him. There was no one in the Patel house who could take care of her like the way Vihaan used to, reaching out to her side every time she needed him.

Wiping her tears and rubbing her dirty palms on the sides of her old blue suit, Sanchi rushed out of the kitchen to attend to the waiting guests at the doorway early that morning. It was fourteenth of February and she had least expected to see the love of her life before her eyes on such an auspicious day.

When she threw the door open, Arjun greeted her with a broad smile on his face. Vidya and Dheeraj entered from behind him, shaking their heads at her respectively. The brightness on Sanchi's face faded when the tall and handsome figure of Vihaan emerged all of a sudden, towering opposite to where Sanchi stood with her fingers gripping the hem of her cotton dress.

Dressed in an expensive and polished black coat and trousers, Vihaan's brown hair was kempt on one side of his forehead. Staring down at her own worn out clothes for once, Sanchi felt ill-at-ease.  Twitching her eyes for multiple seconds, she continued staring at him with a blank expression until Jwala and Kunwar's cheerful voices greeting them brought her back to reality.

Moving slightly out of line and out of sight from the guests, Sanchi waited for them to enter the house. Jwala caught hold of Vidya's arms and congratulated her for the good news and baby she was expecting in a few months. Smiling back at Sanchi's mother, Vidya waved at Sanchi. "How are you, Vanya? Long time and no see."

Trying to suppress all sorts of emotions inside her, Sanchi almost choked on her voice. "I am fi-ne. How do you do?"

"I am happily married to the love of my life, Vanya." Vidya shifted closer to Dheeraj. "Meet my husband Dheeraj, who is also an inspector under the Indore CBI besides Arjun."

Vidya's response took Sanchi by surprise as she realised they were all pretending to be new to her before the Patel family. Nodding her head at Dheeraj, she mumbled, "Ni-ce to me-et you."

"I am Arjun's best friend too." Dheeraj added soon after.

"Forgot to introduce me, sister-in-law?" Vihaan stepped between Vidya and Dheeraj, glaring at Vidya with a false accusation.

Before Vidya could open her mouth to speak, Jwala interrupted him, "Vanya is not any special being to be introduced individually. We all know you are Vidya's brother-in-law and also work in the CBI."

Arjun almost gasped with a suppressed laughter. "He doesn't work in the CBI but we all work under him. He doesn't run after thieves, robbers or murderers, but he is the one taking care of internal terrors all the time. In fact, he is the most devilish cop the state's history has ever seen. He is the DCP whom we all admire."

"If he is really that brave, what is he doing here? He must be busy all the time with work," Kunwar asked, exchanging a glance with Jwala.

"Because I don't have any case to work on right now," Vihaan answered quickly to deviate Sanchi's parents from doubting on him. "Secondly, Arjun is like a brother figure to me. I can always sacrifice a couple of days for the special occasion of his life."