Chapter 38

Chapter 38

Virendra placed two white envelopes of flight tickets on the table and ushered both his sons to pick them up. Passing a quick smile, he spoke in his pleasing voice, "The four of you will leave tonight and stay there for a fortnight."

Dheeraj willingly grabbed the envelope meant for him but Vihaan stayed in prim silence. When Virendra gestured at him again, Vihaan decided to break the silence, "I'm sorry dad but I am not going."

"I didn't announce this before you to ask for your permission. I have already decided that you are going, so stop showing off your arrogance every now and then," Virendra chided, pushing the envelope towards Vihaan.

"I said I'm not going, dad. Not because of my arrogance but because of someone else," Vihaan cleared his throat. "I was already leaving for Agra tonight. I was not supposed to tell it but you forced me."

"You can't hide things like this when you got a wife to share with." Virendra gave him a discerned look and Vihaan clenched his fists to control himself.

"I am not supposed to tell her each and everything. I am a cop and I may have confidentiality," Vihaan said, gritting his teeth. The thought of Sanchi's betrayal and hiding things from him fuelled his anger.

"Not when you have your wife working with you at the same bureau." Virendra stood up from the chair. "By the way, if you are really leaving the city for any case, I should have known, Vihaan."

"You wouldn't because I'm not leaving for any pending case of the bureau. It's something personal that I wouldn't like to tell anybody. The one for whom I'm leaving has forbidden me to," Vihaan uttered instantly and Virendra frowned his forehead.

"Vihaan, I guess this is some serious case. Do you need my help? I'll cancel my own trip as well," Dheeraj interrupted, trying to calm the heated argument between Vihaan and Virendra.

"No brother, you shouldn't spoil your trip for me. I think I will be able to manage it," Vihaan said and his eyes traversed to a cooping Sanchi, whose face had already turned pale from the depression.

"Why can't you tell me, Vihaan? I can go there instead of you. You can't upset Sanchi like this," Virendra spoke in a lower voice this time.

"She should learn that I am a cop and I don't have ample of free time. Secondly, I told you that I'm going for someone who is very close to me. I can't break the promise I made to the person and send someone else instead of me. I don't generally break my promises like others do," Vihaan said, catching a quick glimpse of Sanchi's gloomy face again.

Virendra could easily feel the tension between Sanchi and Vihaan, but he also knew how adamant Vihaan was. Looking back at Sanchi, he asked, "Are you okay with Vihaan leaving for some case? I know he has disheartened you. He's such a sadist."

Sanchi was rendered completely speechless. "I am not up-set, papa. I am new to the bur-eau and taking so many holi-days would be a bad impre-ssion on my collea-gues. I will ha-ve to join my duty next week. Second-ly, if every-one leaves, who will take care of you and maa?"

Virendra walked over towards Sanchi and ran his hand through her hair. "I wish you were my own daughter instead of this arrogant one!"

The family members tried suppressing their laughter while Vihaan left the room in embarrassment. Dheeraj turned to Virendra, "Dad, we can always send Sanchi and Vihaan on a trip later too. If he is so adamant to leave for Agra, he must have strong reasons for it."

"And you have strong reasons to support your brother as always," Virendra teased him, giving a light pat to Sanchi's shoulder in consolation.

*****