Chapter 46

Chapter 46

The small town of Omkareshwar was here, where the Bundela brothers were driving their respective vehicles and passing every beautiful landscape they could see along their way. The serene mountains, meandering rivers and cascades of greenery enhancing the charms of the city located on the banks of the river Narmada.

Considered to be one of the best pilgrimage centres in India, the town is named after Lord Shiva and is the hotspot of numerous temples dedicated to His name. Thousands of ardent followers from across the globe and the country make it to the religious town every year for offerings and holidaying with their families. 

In less than three hours drive, Vihaan and Dheeraj's cars had reached Omkareshwar on the next Saturday afternoon. Vihaan, Sanchi, Shaurya and Virendra travelled by Vihaan's car whereas the rest of them arrived in Dheeraj's car. Parking the cars in the not-so-dusty parking lot, the family members moved out of their seats slothfully.

Standing before them was a double-storeyed concrete house with an open porch in the front yard. The landholding was huge with a wider green expansion covering the entire farmhouse. The old relic of a miniature house was speaking volumes about early days and the broken wooden furniture in the attic narrating the number of years it was left alone.

The grasses were seeming to have been recently pruned because of the fresh odour of the pesticides and the arranged heaps of fallen leaves. There were a few palm trees bordering the garden inside the fence and a medium-sized oak tree was standing in the middle of the front yard.

As both the families sat gossiping around the circular teak table placed in the center of the portico of the old farmhouse, Hemant said to Virendra, "You own such a beautiful farmhouse but Vidya was telling us that you all had last visited this place almost thirty years ago. Can anyone really stay away from this mind soothing place at all?"

Virendra sipped on the scented tea as he responded, "Vidya is somewhat right. This farmhouse was shut for so many years until I ordered the caretaker to clear it out a couple of days ago. My native bungalow is at a short distance from this place and the famous Bundelas at Omkareshwar own three farmhouses altogether. This one particularly belongs to my name because of the enchanting view of the Narmada river beside it. My father knows how much I love seashores."

"Is your father alive? I mean you used present tense in your sentence," Hemant said, sipping on his own lemonade. 

"He is and might be struggling in his late eighties." Virendra swallowed hard. "I think I should go and take some rest."

Virendra turned to go when Vihaan's emerging figure caught his eyes. Vihaan had changed into his casual attire and was making his way towards the worn-out garden next to the front yard.

"Vihaan, come here at once." Virendra called out to him.

Vihaan obeyed, taking a couple of steps towards his father. "Yes dad."

"You know things have not been easy with any of us for so many days. I don't deserve to even apologize to you but I want to confess that I should have trusted you once." Virendra folded his palms before Vihaan.

Vihaan immediately grasped Virendra's palms, frowned his forehead and wrapped his arm around his father's shoulders. "No dad, you haven't done anything to apologize for. You were the witness that I had shot my brother and you reacted like any normal father would. But when it came to your duty, you even supported Sanchi on her mission. You supported because you trusted me."

"But Vihaan, your mom..." Virendra gulped a little. "She is even scared to come near you. She is dying out of so many guilts and she knows she can never earn your forgiveness, at least not in this life."