Chapter 20

A/N: I know I was supposed to update yesterday but the place where I'm staying is experiencing heavy rains... Power cut and unsteady internet connection... I couldn't upload next chapter last night.. It's still raining cats and dogs here...

Anyways enjoy the longest chapter of the book so far 😉.. Let me know what you think?

***

Chapter 20

"Meet Kushal and his mother." Hemant pointed in the direction of two emerging figures and Vidya stared at them silently. The actors from the drama company had arrived at the Trivedi house on Sunday as planned and were instructed to work accordingly as required.

Vidya simply nodded and stepped aside to leave some space for the guests to take their seats across the living room. Dheeraj hadn't yet arrived as promised and Hemant initiated the conversation, "Meet my daughter, Vidya."

The middle aged lady actress renamed as Binita spoke, "Nice to meet you Vidya."

Vidya plastered a fake smile on her face and shook hands with her instead of taking her blessings. "Nice to see you here, ma'am."

The lady frowned her forehead and the young man pretending to be her son whispered in her ear, louder enough for Vidya to hear, "Mom, she's a modern girl and I like her. You don't need to snort your nose."

Binita chuckled and turned to Garima. "Your daughter is both modern and intelligent. She is a doctor and has a great future. My son is also handling the family business successfully. I like her and I think they'll make an awesome pair."

"But our daughter needs to give her consent before we decide anything. The children needs to choose each other and finally agree for the marriage," Garima answered, keeping her eyes fixed on Vidya.

"Then let them talk to each other and if they like each other, we may go ahead with it," Binita said and smiled at them.

"Dheeraj!" Hemant exclaimed when he saw him approaching. "Meet my friend Virendra's son Dheeraj. He's also a close friend to Vidya."

Kushal stood up from the sofa and reached his hand out to Dheeraj. "Hey!"

Dheeraj took Kushal's hand in his very slowly, giving it a light squeeze. "Nice to meet you. So are you going to marry her?"

Vidya shot an angry glance at Dheeraj and quickly recomposed herself when Kushal stepped closer to her. He spoke, taking Vidya's palm gently in his. "Ms. Trivedi, shall we discuss about it with each other?"

Vidya was already fuming with rage and disheartened by the fact that Dheeraj had finally made it to her house to choose someone on her behalf. She tightened Kushal's grip on her palm and pulled his arm lightly. "Shall we go somewhere else to speak in private? I don't think we can discuss here in front of everyone."

Binita's face arched into a crooked smile. "Sure Vidya, suit yourself. You both need to get compatible in order to know each other better."

"Dad, we are heading to the garden to talk for sometime." She gestured Kushal to follow her while she walked past Dheeraj to take the exit. Dheeraj was surely pissed by her act but he had to know that it would have happened anyways.

*

Vidya led Kushal to their squared garden, full of greenery and sun-facing flowers. There was a chain of sprinklers along either side of the sidewalk.

Kushal slapped the back of his head because he had realized that their plan was backfiring. Instead of rejecting him, Vidya had offered to talk to him personally.