Chapter 63

Chapter 63

Sanchi snapped out of a short nap the moment a heavy gust of cold wind blew past her, hitting the closed black windshields of Arjun's car beside her face. As soon as the car's door was opened, Arjun helped Sanchi's grandmother move out of the car while she followed behind.

Nidhi jumped out of the passenger seat, easing herself on to the grey pavement. "Is the reception going to be held here, Arjun? It'll be fun but my back has already started aching from the long journey."

Arjun laughed before wrapping his arms around the grandmother and spoke in a hilarious voice, "You people have been sleeping for the past five hours and I was the one driving. I should have been more fatigued than you."

"Then why the hell did you think of celebrating our marriage here at Indore?" Nidhi widened her eyes, walking in line with Sanchi. "You could have thrown this party back at Gwalior too."

Sanchi drew her eyes together to take a closer look of the surroundings around her. The truth of the reception being held at nowhere else but Indore was already beginning to shudder her. The environment seemed very familiar to her for she reminisced of having walked along these grey paths weeks ago.

"Because I want you to see who my close circles are and what my daily life is. Partying at Gwalior couldn't have been the same. I'll love you more for attending the reception in the city where I'm staying and not where my in-laws live." Arjun's voice brought Sanchi out of her indulging thoughts and she gasped inaudibly.

Taking one careful and gradually slower step each time, Sanchi had fallen visible distance away behind her family and Arjun. After all, she couldn't find ways of gathering enough courage to enter into the gigantic lawn of the same bungalow she had left two months ago. The Bundela mansion was standing as elegant and erect as it had been earlier too, the only difference was that the non-living archaic household was void of it's youngest daughter-in-law.

"Where are the rest of our guests? When are they coming?" Nidhi asked again to which Sanchi gulped down a bitter and dry saliva.

"Your parents and the rest are all travelling by the electric bus I've booked for them and will arrive anytime soon. My driver will drop them here in time," Arjun answered, stopping in his tracks when he noticed Dheeraj and Vidya approaching them from far.

Dheeraj and Vidya's emerging happy figure began sweating Sanchi's palms even in the cold weather, her throat running dry and eyes moist. "Did Vid-ya lie to us that she'll be visit-ing the doctor to-day?"

Shimmering lights of vibrant colours were glowing all around the lush green lawn, decorated lamps were set up on each of the round tables spread across and a few guests were abruptly loitering here and there. A large centre stage was perched higher up in a corner, gorgeously ornamented with neon lights and scented flowers. A miniature hoarding of 'We Wish NIDHI And ARJUN A Happy Married Life" was also hanging down the temporary ceiling of it.

A soft pull of her arm broke Sanchi's trance and Vidya's fun-filled voice became audible to her. "Hey Vanya, nice to meet you again."

Glaring at her with a pissed off mood, Sanchi whispered next to her ears, "Weren't you supp-osed to be visiting the doc-tor? Why did-n't you all tell me before that the recep-tion would be held here, in the Bun-dela house?"

"I had told you that I would be visiting the doctor and not getting admitted in the hospital. Doctor doesn't need to keep checking me for the entire day," Vidya replied in a low voice to prevent Nidhi from hearing it. "And holding the reception here was all Arjun's plan and he requested us to keep it a secret. He wanted to give a surprise to all of you."